Okay, so I bought a.........Roberts

Re:

A custom Robert so could be made in any way for someone.
As above similar to the f.w.Evans and similar without lugs to an 88/89?s Team Peugeot too, all Roberts bikes iirc.

Seatube area, guides under the bottom all the same between them?

Re:

That looks very similar to Chrisby's custom built Roberts. Pm him but he had it built in 1994 i think. He had it at Mayhem this weekend.

Re: Okay, so I bought a bike....... ID help required

Nice! Mine was indeed very similar, albeit with the stamped stay caps. Miss that bike.

Re:

So, its settled........... Roberts white spider custom

given the fork a clean and now it takes a 22.2mm snugly, this will most probably get some nice new paint and then a black DX groupset and replace my cannondale BOTE daily rider/touring bike :D

Happy bunny

RBG

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":1onzlc5b said:
So, its settled........... Roberts white spider custom

Why a White Spider custom? Not sure a White Spider would have rack mounts, plus it has a different configuration of chainstay/BB joint and a different shaped canti stop.

IMAGE_393650B4-E3BB-4906-A67F-94B0068A5745.JPG

Re: Re:

Rod_Saetan":2krjvl00 said:
Why a White Spider custom? Not sure a White Spider would have rack mounts, plus it has a different configuration of chainstay/BB joint and a different shaped canti stop.

IMAGE_393650B4-E3BB-4906-A67F-94B0068A5745.JPG

The original description from the auction listing was a 'Chas roberts white spider mountain bike'. I merely took the word custom from a point of view that the frame may have had some changes from the white spider configuration for the original person whom ordered the frameset. the York cycle rally was mainly comprised of roadies and tourers so I guess it would make sense that this was probably used for touring and not off road use hence the rack & mudguard mounts on both frame and forks. I had assumed the frame number pointed to a 92 frame but I'm probably wrong on that count as the F.W Evans frame is the most similar to date and the only one i've seen with that cable bridge and non slotted cable guides with the vertical cut.

what do you think it is?, is it just a one off custom frame, a white spider, a zaskar :LOL: or a roberts version of the F.W Evans?

RBG

Great find!
Was there much nice stuff for sale?
Sadly I didn't make this year due to other circumstances :) .

I think it's a Roberts custom, without original decals/receipt/word from Chas it would be hard to say any more. Looks great regardless, they are lovely things.

Back