Oh no!... not another trackie build...finished!

Sorry to butt in but having bought a DB Ascent from a lovely older chap (in his 70's I suppose) called Phillip this evening it turns out he's built bikes and rode bikes all his life. (He's having to give up cycling as he can't balance any more, sounds terrible).
We had a lovely chat and he mentioned building and riding 'trackie' bikes when he was a kid and riding not only around Epping Forest but around an almost purpose-built track of sorts nearby when he was young although the 'older' lads took over the track most of the time! A fixed-wheel bike, with the horns of the drop bars flipped-over and facing forward, made from any bits him and his mates could get hold of.
Was nice to hear his first-hand riding experience from 50-60 years ago; he'd tell a better story than my second-hand storytelling could!
Bring on the Trackie Tootyred!

Those were indeed the days. Whilst i used flipped over/ cut down "racer" bars on my road bikes....( trying to emulate the new fangled aero time trial bars), i never used them on a trackie. We went for the mist most ridiculous, tree smacking, cowhorns we could find!

My dear sister and keeper of the family archive is trying to find some trackie photos of me and my mates that mum took bitd. There will be bsa's, flares and basin haircuts im sure!

As for the bike, im trying to find a reasonably robust set of pre 89 700c 32 hole rims....hubs sorted (with one slight cheat as one of the pair is dated 2 months outside the agreed time frame......sushhhhhh....dont tell peachy).

Well......things are not going quite as i planned. 3 tip runs (under the cover of taking garden waste) have bore very little fruit.

Although there are some good items locked in the no access compound, they never seem to make it to the reuse shop.....hummm.

Ebay these days is pointless, as everything, no matter how 5h1t is apparently " retro" or "vintage"....so those cheapo alloys off that Raleigh must be worth £60 upwards.....yop.

I've even toyed with buying a whole bike off gumtree for £20, just to rob the wheels, but then ive got no use for the rest, and binning the rest goes against every fibre of my being. Sadly its not the kinda stuff you discerning people would give garage room to.

So, im a bit stuck. Maybe the influx of bikes after Christmas to the tip will trawl up more offerings.

But, on a positive note the frames all stripped and cleaned down are ready for some polishing / art!

Well......things are not going quite as i planned. 3 tip runs (under the cover of taking garden waste) have bore very little fruit.

Although there are some good items locked in the no access compound, they never seem to make it to the reuse shop.....hummm.

Ebay these days is pointless, as everything, no matter how 5h1t is apparently " retro" or "vintage"....so those cheapo alloys off that Raleigh must be worth £60 upwards.....yop.

I've even toyed with buying a whole bike off gumtree for £20, just to rob the wheels, but then ive got no use for the rest, and binning the rest goes against every fibre of my being. Sadly its not the kinda stuff you discerning people would give garage room to.

So, im a bit stuck. Maybe the influx of bikes after Christmas to the tip will trawl up more offerings.

But, on a positive note the frames all stripped and cleaned down are ready for some polishing / art!
I know we’re not supposed to take the piss out of people selling on eBay, but how clueless can someone actually be;

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I know we’re not supposed to take the piss out of people selling on eBay, but how clueless can someone actually be;
But Peachy!...It is in nice condition for it's age (twice) ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Think i might have to empty the crap metal box in the garage, photograph the bike bits and sell them...i could probably afford to but that full dura-ace 80s kit in the roadies section for me trackie.

Some good news at last. I managed to sell on a few bits from the donor and with the cash bought another donor (with a pound or 2 spare)! This one has working wheels and a few other bits i need.

So things might finally be moving. Woo hoo.

Back