Offroad Pro-flex 862

pazaudi

Retro Guru
Well a new "challenge" has arrived, I'd say this bike has literally been sat in a barn for a number of years judging by the cobwebs and straw. Underneath all that grime it does actually look in pretty good shape, assuming there's no hidden cracks but after a strip down I'll have a better idea.

I don't really know anything about these bikes, the brand or even full suspension bikes in general so I have a lot of questions that need answering and no doubt a lot of help/advice with getting this up and running.

First off, does anyone have the original spec or catalogue for one of these? I'm guessing it's from circa 1992 but don't hold me to that.

SAiddbf.jpg

wvVRq73.jpg

5WKlsX4.jpg

I completely forgot about this thread until today, so as it's a miserable day I may as well update this on how it turned out.

I completely stripped this down and rebuilt it, it's mostly still original apart from the saddle, tyres and grips. I think the groupset has faired pretty well for 29 yers old.

WfmpKIr.jpg

udxeSha.jpg

b3HcxxW.jpg

pqYptgw.jpg

uZf1n6x.jpg

addicted":158c7hhf said:
This cleaned up nice. How does it ride?

I've not really had a chance to take it out on a long ride, however I wouldn't be hoping for amazing results from a near 30yr old Proflex.

The front forks don't work properly as the top seals leak air although with fresh oil they are locked out so act like rigid forks. The titanium flex stem works well though and the new elastomer on the rear gives a bit of cushioning too so it's a comfortable ride when dawdling around.

Really love the old XT groupset with thumb shifters though, always a pleasure to use.

pazaudi":1k1w033v said:
addicted":1k1w033v said:
This cleaned up nice. How does it ride?

I've not really had a chance to take it out on a long ride, however I wouldn't be hoping for amazing results from a near 30yr old Proflex.

The front forks don't work properly as the top seals leak air although with fresh oil they are locked out so act like rigid forks. The titanium flex stem works well though and the new elastomer on the rear gives a bit of cushioning too so it's a comfortable ride when dawdling around.

Really love the old XT groupset with thumb shifters though, always a pleasure to use.

Nice bike, that's cleaned up well! I have a Pro-Flex 656 but it's had coils fitted and they're very stiff. There's almost no movement whatsoever at the front.

Back