Officially car and van free....a new life begins!

I lived in Glasgow for 10 years and never owned a vehicle. I rented one a handful of times to move house and the odd trip away. It never even occurred to me to buy one.
Now I live in the arse end of Cornwall and couldn't be without a vehicle!
Yes Cornwall can be a bit remote! Pretty gnarly in winter on a bike too!

I have never owned a car. I do everything by bicycle. In a moment of weakness I will take the bus, which always ends up frustrating. Of course we have bike lanes everywhere and good public transport. Also my commute is a trifle. Only when moving house I am dependent on others, as I have no licence..

I use an xtracycle for groceries or hauling stuff like tools, garden furniture, large packages. I like the geometry. The heavier loaded it is, the more stable it gets. And it doesn't feel slow.

Well done ridding cars from your life! All you need is proper raingear.. ;-)

I just can't stand buses....I'd rather crawl on my knees ! Xtracycle....I'll take a look... I will be looking for something I can do some haulage with....or maybe build myself...well have to see about that. For the mo I might resurrect a trailer thing I built a few years ago ...bit of contraption but actually towed really well other than lacking ground clearance....I think my focus was too much on performance of handling rather than practical lugging! 😆
Maybe a build thread coming up!
The rain gear situation needs to be improved I've yet to find a real breathable material...I don't think it actually exists....it's either rain wet or sweat wet...so the solution might be a dry bag, towel and change of clothes instead!

Never had a car. Always done everything via the bike apart from house moves etc.

Very heavy loads etc - just get them delivered. Occasionally lean on friends.
Occasional need for a car? Hire eg cowheels.
Too far from work? Live closer. Now, I've swapped that to work from home - especially as I now live in rural Wales.

My one concession to getting older/having near-lifelong chronic disease was to get an electric bike for commuting, picking up shopping etc. I still use a non-electric one for play.

Buses make me travel sick so would rather ride 20 miles than use one. I do use rail for bigger journeys.

Best wet weather upgrade i made was full Honjo mudguards, i put them on my workbike in November and take them off in May, it's a piece of piss keeping your upper body dry, lower legs and especially feet are more difficult.

Never had a car. Always done everything via the bike apart from house moves etc.

Very heavy loads etc - just get them delivered. Occasionally lean on friends.
Occasional need for a car? Hire eg cowheels.
Too far from work? Live closer. Now, I've swapped that to work from home - especially as I now live in rural Wales.

My one concession to getting older/having near-lifelong chronic disease was to get an electric bike for commuting, picking up shopping etc. I still use a non-electric one for play.

Buses make me travel sick so would rather ride 20 miles than use one. I do use rail for bigger journeys.
Good work ...it's great to see that others have done it and for so long ✌️
The times I've been in friends vehicles in the last few years I get the fear....ooh too fast slowdown!
Think I am accustomed to life in the slow lane now...which is kinda stranger cos I was known as ledfoot Mick....
It for me is a big shift from anything and everything of site work ,random jobs etc to fingers crossed just solely workshop based work from now on....just got to make it work now! I hope the money saved from motoring means I can be cheaper.... we'll see how that works!?
I do have an ebike...put the kit up for sale awhile back....but might hang on to it now!

Best wet weather upgrade i made was full Honjo mudguards, i put them on my workbike in November and take them off in May, it's a piece of piss keeping your upper body dry, lower legs and especially feet are more difficult.
Mudguards.....as a kid first thing off a bike...older I get ....first thing on a bike! I like full wrap on my guards...I chop rears to fit the front and fit flaps.
If the flap drags going through a pothole that's a fit 😁
Chains last longer too I reckon without all that dusty grit flicking off the front tyre.

I just can't stand buses....I'd rather crawl on my knees ! Xtracycle....I'll take a look... I will be looking for something I can do some haulage with....or maybe build myself...well have to see about that. For the mo I might resurrect a trailer thing I built a few years ago ...bit of contraption but actually towed really well other than lacking ground clearance....I think my focus was too much on performance of handling rather than practical lugging! 😆
Maybe a build thread coming up!
The rain gear situation needs to be improved I've yet to find a real breathable material...I don't think it actually exists....it's either rain wet or sweat wet...so the solution might be a dry bag, towel and change of clothes instead!
the more you spend on raingear, the better. But staying dry means sweating.. I have a very breathable jacket but when it comes down, it goes through. Change of clothes is prob better.

The original xtracycle was the basis for the Surly big dummy. Which takes more weight

I forgot what brands Ive tried with the sales line of waterproof and breathable I don't think you can have both ....water resistant yes but not waterproof! I've got to the point I rarely wear lycra now unless I'm touring and that's just because it's light and packs down to nothing.
Bizarrely I've found clothing that's amazing...a pair of jeans from tkmax for a fiver! Stretch fit and as comfy as long John's, warmer and doesn't shout mamil! However not waterproof 😆
I think wool seems best as dries so quick and does breath, I'm yet to try specific cycling wool garb as it's so pricey!

For my commute, when it rains I put on a raincoat and trousers and arrive home dry and exhilarated. Riding in the rain even for hours I enjoy enormously. It is a mindset I am trying to say. Hiking in the rain is special as well. Better than buses...

Back