Obree

Donny Dee":27ueroxc said:
My prediction is 5.5 to 6K, and I bet the only bidders in the running now are Bike Museums or someone with an eye to selling it internationally out of the country.

Or Chris Boardman... Or Burrows himself.

Evens that the reserve around 10K doesnt get reached. The only bidders who would go that high are the Japanese and this probably wouldnt be of interest to them.

Burrows is too tight/sensible ;) ;)

Donny Dee":2ubofd0o said:
Evens that the reserve around 10K doesnt get reached. The only bidders who would go that high are the Japanese and this probably wouldnt be of interest to them.

Don't forget the Germans. They seem to recognise the historic value in items like this and are always prepared to pay more than Brits. I'm reckon the current high bidder is German.

In a lot of these memorabilia type sales the seller deliberately sets the reserve too high so they can negotiate a cash deal when the auction ends and save on the fees and the PayPal. I think the seller is being quite shrewd and although he won't get near the reserve he'll likely get a good cash enough cash offer afterwards.

Its a bit fishy though, 50% of the bids coming from the same very low feedback bidder.

Personally I would have stuck it on fixed price with offers.

A Boardman authenticated Vitus ZX1 track bike went for £2800 last year. Only a handful of the track versions were ever made - mostly for the French national squad, so the value was in it. I'm not sure an Obree design not built by the genius himself will fetch the big dollar the seller is hoping for.

joe careless":2hg9euvr said:
Donny Dee":2hg9euvr said:
My prediction is 5.5 to 6K, and I bet the only bidders in the running now are Bike Museums or someone with an eye to selling it internationally out of the country.

I would have thought Moser would be more interested in it than Boardman :p

It's Haines who is selling the one now on eBay. He sounds like quite a unpleasant guy to be honest. I hope he doesn't get much for it.

Woz":106bzf8v said:
joe careless":106bzf8v said:
Donny Dee":106bzf8v said:

I would have thought Moser would be more interested in it than Boardman :p

Suspect Moser wasn't interested as he knows the seller quite well.

http://wattbike.com/uk/blog/post/haines ... pt_on_hold

Back