NOS Bombers Z4's on Wiggle

Spring one more desirable than air.. better reviews back in the say.. Day-Glo colours only issue..
I prefer the air (w.r.t the 2000 ones), just as easy and easier to tune up, no mass hunt for the right set of spring, unless you're not really retro and can still use the standard springs ;-).
Of course the Z4 has to have oil changed for damping alterations, though you could probably grab a lower rod from a Z3 air and use that with it allen key tuning.. Or DIY with a few restrictions.

You can of course plonk a spring in there iirc, there isn't much difference other than a valve cap..

I prefer the air (w.r.t the 2000 ones), just as easy and easier to tune up, no mass hunt for the right set of spring, unless you're not really retro and can still use the standard springs ;-).
Of course the Z4 has to have oil changed for damping alterations, though you could probably grab a lower rod from a Z3 air and use that with it allen key tuning.. Or DIY with a few restrictions.

You can of course plonk a spring in there iirc, there isn't much difference other than a valve cap..
Well you cant really compare them to today's forks,. air ,coil or whatever. Tuning is pretty much a minor set of differences, a bit less air and thats about all she wrote there, coil too. Tuning doesnt have the high and low speed compression we're used to now, nor the progressive damping.
It's pretty much an on/off scenario.
The only real thing they did well was go up and down smoothly.
Plus whatever you couple them too hasn't much in the way of good geometry, thought out from tried and tested riders over a couple of decades. So at home on a basic bike, with cantis, but thats about all there is for this age of fork.

Some interesting useful chat in here. Have a few info grabs to go with it! Should be useful.
I bought one of each. I also have a Used Z3. First one going on my NOS Rhythm I think.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.21.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.21.45 PM.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.19.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.19.01 PM.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.22.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.22.39 PM.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210909_134915020 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210909_134915020 (1).jpg
    722.5 KB · Views: 18
For £100 new you aren't going to get a better straight steerer 26" wheel suspension fork.

Manitou do the M30 which can be upgraded to the ABS+ damper but that will run to 3x this amount.

Even used you will struggle to find a better 26" straight fork for this money....

Well you cant really compare them to today's forks,. air ,coil or whatever. Tuning is pretty much a minor set of differences, a bit less air and thats about all she wrote there, coil too. Tuning doesnt have the high and low speed compression we're used to now, nor the progressive damping.
It's pretty much an on/off scenario.
The only real thing they did well was go up and down smoothly.
Plus whatever you couple them too hasn't much in the way of good geometry, thought out from tried and tested riders over a couple of decades. So at home on a basic bike, with cantis, but thats about all there is for this age of fork.
It's a retro site, don't care what we can buy now.
I'm comparing these two forks.
The air allows you to tune the rebound to your weight without having to buy other springs.
The oil allows you to tune the rate these happen.
Putting in different damping tubes allows more precise control without oil change.

It's got nothing to do with modern 2020's forks.
Otherwise I'd buy a modern 2020s fork.
You can port the holes if you really wanted to go that far.

A 1994 Mag 21 had more tuning opportunities than these 2000 Bomber forks.
These are almost bottom of the range too.

There was NO comparison made to modern day o_O🤯 forks, just a 1999 Z4 spring to a 2000 Z4 air.
Wrong forum?

Back