Nocim....my Edwardian hotrod speed machine!

Now then what do we see here 🤔

View attachment 632375

I see fat!

I'm losing some weight....

So Nocim can to 😁

The steel Cable guide works really well better than a wheel....which I tried but just didn't want to play ball with my index shifter!!? It was a quick get it done see if it works job...now I know it works let's make something to replace it .... something a more pretty and lighter 👍

So we start with a chunk of aluminium drill some holes countersink the seatpost bolt and do some roughing out ....raise the mount flange for the seat bolt to pop thru...
View attachment 632419

Then some finer detail work...
View attachment 632420

And some even more finer detail and it's ready for some brass cable guides to be pushed in 👍

View attachment 632422

View attachment 632421

And that's 37g saved ..... 😁
Woohoo. Clean and antique at the same time.

Woohoo. Clean and antique at the same time.
You said clean...😂..now I'm using it a bit the protective coating of gack it once had seems to be disappearing fast...I have no idea what it was maybe some kind of acrylic varnish or a hard wax. I think it needs removing and something else put back on! There's still traces in a couple if places of some gold box lining......I'm thinking gently cleaned and recoated with something might bring these out......but I have no idea what to coat it with!? I'd assume original paint would of been an enamel?

You said clean...😂..now I'm using it a bit the protective coating of gack it once had seems to be disappearing fast...I have no idea what it was maybe some kind of acrylic varnish or a hard wax. I think it needs removing and something else put back on! There's still traces in a couple if places of some gold box lining......I'm thinking gently cleaned and recoated with something might bring these out......but I have no idea what to coat it with!? I'd assume original paint would of been an enamel?
Try boiled linseed oil. It’s used in paint, dries usually in one day, has a nice dull shine and inhibits rust. Try it on the underside to see how you like it. It’s better than clear in my opinion and a recoat can be done every few years. Don’t keep the old rags you used to apply it around as they spontaneously combust. I leave them hanging outside to dry. Maybe brake cleaner on a rag with gentle scrubbing would remove the top finish. You don’t want an aggressive solvent. White gas is gentle.

Try boiled linseed oil. It’s used in paint, dries usually in one day, has a nice dull shine and inhibits rust. Try it on the underside to see how you like it. It’s better than clear in my opinion and a recoat can be done every few years. Don’t keep the old rags you used to apply it around as they spontaneously combust. I leave them hanging outside to dry. Maybe brake cleaner on a rag with gentle scrubbing would remove the top finish. You don’t want an aggressive solvent. White gas is gentle.
Good call on linseed ! Have some somewhere 👍
Might actually be what's on it...might give it a wipe with some turps or the like....see what happens. It's just starting to like dry and in need !

In the USA there is a penetrating lubricant called Gibbs. It’s popular with hot rodders as a top coat rust inhibitor. It doesn’t leave a film, lasts for years and doesn’t effect decals, at least it didn’t on the one bike I put it on. I can’t tell it’s there. If you can’t get it in the UK perhaps Amazon or another mail order outfit can get it for you. It’s expensive but a little goes a long way, perhaps for 50 bikes. It’s also a very good penetrating oil. This is my top suggestion, got nothing else.

6986FCD4-9732-4458-91E7-E0F07CF42C3F.jpeg

More braking news!

So i had a steel rear brake cable hanger I made in the same fashion as the cable guide......get it... done ....get it on ....let's go ride style.....well it was a heavy lump at 36 grams 🙄

Can't have that!

Too fat!

Let's start with a big lump.....some might recognise this poor lonesome orphan crank from my other build.....the tensioner that never was....!!?? 😆
IMG_20220603_124931_193.jpg

Hack ...smash ...and a beer....

IMG_20220603_170653_284.jpg

Something's happening👍
IMG_20220603_203651_431.jpg

Faces would look strange without a nose right?

IMG_20220604_115347_712.jpg

And that dainty little thing weighs in bang on at.... 12 grams .
I was hoping what I had in mind would be on the light side of 20g ..... So quite stoked with that effort 😁

Which means from the seat cluster I've saved a whopping 61g that's pretty damn good going 🤩

Let's have a look at these bits fitted...

IMG_20220604_131710_371~2.jpg

Neater 👍 ... forgot the bolt had 6mm to come off its length.....swap a washer to aluminium and that another 4 grams saved...
So that's 65 grams grand total from the old seat cluster set up.....
IMG_20220602_150823_994.jpg

Just a head's up looking at this AL styling. Jogged my memory.

Very early on, even at the birth of this new fangled material, the French did some exquisite anorexic brake
levers (can't find the name, perhaps Duralumin?), but they are like this:

1654344959782.png

The design was dusted off later by Tektro, model FL750, which I think look cool too. 1654345249554.png

Back