New tool

novocaine

Old School Grand Master
I made a pointless tool. 😁 only off interest to those who build wheels,was fed up of not being able to set a spoke in a deep wall so i made this.

This ones for 30mm deep. it screws in to the back of the spoke, the head drops down so you can wind the nipple on to the spoke the you can spin the back nut to release the nipple.
absolutly pointless, completely irrelevant for 90% of the time and therefore precisely what I wanted to make. :)

20220209_201728.jpg

Not a bad idea, I like it! I currently use a second spoke to poke through the rim, attach the nipple, pull through, take out the spoke and then hold the nipple in place with a screwdriver before inserting the spoke and then tighten. allways worked for me and not much hassle.

Not a bad idea, I like it! I currently use a second spoke to poke through the rim, attach the nipple, pull through, take out the spoke and then hold the nipple in place with a screwdriver before inserting the spoke and then tighten. allways worked for me and not much hassle.
that's how I've been doing it for years too.

I guess when you have a hammer, everything is a nail. In this case, I have a 3d printer, so everything can be printed. :) this is the short spoke I've used for years to do exactly what you do, but with some added features. :) I wouldn't say it's sped up the process at all, nor has it changed how easy/hard it is to lace a wheel. In fact, I'd say the tool is completly pointless and I wouldn't pay for it if it was offered (waiting for Park to steal it now), but home made, why not I guess. :)

that's how I've been doing it for years too.

I guess when you have a hammer, everything is a nail. In this case, I have a 3d printer, so everything can be printed. :) this is the short spoke I've used for years to do exactly what you do, but with some added features. :) I wouldn't say it's sped up the process at all, nor has it changed how easy/hard it is to lace a wheel. In fact, I'd say the tool is completly pointless and I wouldn't pay for it if it was offered (waiting for Park to steal it now), but home made, why not I guess. :)
I am wiating to get a 3D printer for this exact reason, just to make random parts i dont necessarily need! i have a little project in the works, to adapt an old WW2 torch to LED with an old Leyzne light i have. Just need to print the inner section to hold it all together nicely.

Nice printing there.....this week ive mostly been printing m732 freehub dust covers......oh and 2 more fingers for the droid that will eventually replace the dorris.

Dont you guys use spoke, spoke winders? You know like a drill brace made from a spoke? You can even slip a little wooden dowel handle on both ends to save your fingers.....oh and weld on a little washer to stop the spoke going in too far...and paint it.

So, that was how i wasted my time before 3d printing came along....:LOL:

Dont you guys use spoke, spoke winders? You know like a drill brace made from a spoke? You can even slip a little wooden dowel handle on both ends to save your fingers.....oh and weld on a little washer to stop the spoke going in too far...and paint it.

So, that was how i wasted my time before 3d printing came along....:LOL:
there perhaps might be something of a similar nature languishing in the bottom of the tool draw having once to many times skewerd my thumb when the bit of wood fell of the end. :) my washer was silver soldered on.

I also made some improvements to my cheap truing stand, but that's not worth pictures, I'm not finished with it yet. :)

Oh don't go there.....ive got to router a strip of metal into the base of mine next, so i can fit a magnetic run out dial and stand.

Its mahogany with beech indicator arm and rim pads....

Attachments

• 20210104_092407.jpg
    20210104_092407.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 6
I use one of these. Brilliant. I don't know whay I didn't get one before. Much quicker than lots of screwing. I made a little bush for the landle end so it spins in my palm a bit more nicely.

Back