New tires…but +20 years old. How to recover?

InFaasion

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, first post after many years being absent. Always kept looking at this forum but didn't find time to stay online. Old mtb bug still in my blood I did collect parts and bikes in the past years. Best gem I found was a nos CycleTech from mid 90's with XTR M900 and carbon 3 spoke Rigida wheels. And with this bike also a pair of brand new Tioga tires. Unfortunately these tires are cracked and dried over time. My question is if there's any possibility to recover the dried out cracks. Searched the net but no answer. Any tips or hints? Thanks in advance.

For a wall hanger I´ve used latex milk (dries clear) to "glue" loose threads together again. Not apt for serious use I´m afraid.

Tyres are some of the least ‘green’ mass items from human activity. The particulates from tyres apparently are now greater than the emissions from combustion see:

Although this looks like fun:

The combination of wire and rubber means that they are very difficult to recycle, although as a family we have quite a few items around which are made from old tyres - garden trugs, log baskets etc. But tyres are useless when only a small amount of material which forms them is used up. A Bad Thing. The world has vast dumps of tyres all over it....dreadful

Hi all, first post after many years being absent. Always kept looking at this forum but didn't find time to stay online. Old mtb bug still in my blood I did collect parts and bikes in the past years. Best gem I found was a nos CycleTech from mid 90's with XTR M900 and carbon 3 spoke Rigida wheels. And with this bike also a pair of brand new Tioga tires. Unfortunately these tires are cracked and dried over time. My question is if there's any possibility to recover the dried out cracks. Searched the net but no answer. Any tips or hints? Thanks in advance.
You can help prevent them going ropey if they’re in good nick but if they’re already shagged, I’m afraid that’s it.

Maybe I found a solution: liquid rubber. My father used it when working for Philips to fix worn in tension wheels in cassette players. Since these tires are toast anyway it's worth a try. I keep you all posted.

Last edited:
A guy on a similar thread on fb suggested a product called Wintergreen would revive old rubber.

A guy on a similar thread on fb suggested a product called Wintergreen would revive old rubber.

Thats the name of the stuff I used to rub on my legs when I played rugby. I think it was petroleum based with menthol or similar. Worked very well at warming your legs up but if you accidentally got it on a bollock, you'd spend the next half running like Usain Bolt.

Wax based shoe polish will make it look nice for awhile. Don’t ride on them, they’ll blow the sidewall and the inner tube will pop out and explode like a gun shot. Don’t ask me how I know this.

Back