NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
originalshinkicker":1bg8owug said:
Here is an unofficial frameset unboxing video...

https://youtu.be/QS7W5mlWzQ8

I prefer this as I have the frameset waiting for me in April 2021 when I retire from here & relocate back to the UK.
Nicely done.

So who’d you recommend for a proper SBDU paint job?
Argos, Bob Jackson spring to mind.

Re:

I also have one of these on the way, frameset only in 56cm. It'll be interesting to compare it side by side with SB5817 which is pretty much the same size and geometry, though different in some details like fastback stays.

I opted for the frameset rather than the full build, partly for financial reasons and partly as I wasn't 100% sold on the build. I'm still completely undecided about the direction to take withe the build, but that's a different matter. I like the look of the hubs though - does anyone know anything about them? I couldn't get much info out of Raleigh, other than claiming they were specially commissioned. They look a bit like the Electra Ticino ones that were available a few years back. Does anyone know any more?

Cheers,
Gareth.

Re:

Bought an Ilkeston build time trial special 753 complete with forks and a headset at a club jumble way back in 2007 .
Silver paint finish . No body wanted it other than me . A bargain at £75 even then.
Every body said what an earth do you want that for . Carbon fibre been all the rage.
Well I said they are not going to build any frames in Ilkeston are they....it had long closed.

Re: Re:

bagpuss":ncguf05i said:
Bought an Ilkeston build time trial special 753 complete with forks and a headset at a club jumble way back in 2007 .
Silver paint finish . No body wanted it other than me . A bargain at £75 even then.
Every body said what an earth do you want that for . Carbon fibre been all the rage.
Well I said they are not going to build any frames in Ilkeston are they....it had long closed.
Very Nice indeed & lucky you :)

Martin Pyne won the 1981 25 mile national TT championship on a Raleigh TT special so it has some pedigree :)

garethrl":3s0hl13i said:
I also have one of these on the way, frameset only in 56cm. It'll be interesting to compare it side by side with SB5817 which is pretty much the same size and geometry, though different in some details like fastback stays.

I opted for the frameset rather than the full build, partly for financial reasons and partly as I wasn't 100% sold on the build. I'm still completely undecided about the direction to take withe the build, but that's a different matter. I like the look of the hubs though - does anyone know anything about them? I couldn't get much info out of Raleigh, other than claiming they were specially commissioned. They look a bit like the Electra Ticino ones that were available a few years back. Does anyone know any more?

Cheers,
Gareth.

Personally I’d be looking to get Some Campag Large Flange Record hubs :)

Re:

I don't get it.

On the evidence of Osk's video, here's a frame that's supposed to be 753 but apparently weighs in like 531. The transfers are under-dimensioned and badly placed. The dropouts are like podgy two-dimensional Campag. 1010s that somebody forgot to finish...And who is buying these frames? Apparently not people who don't know the difference, or people whose nostalgia for such things hasn't yet been indulged, but people who already have one or more vintage SBDU frames, and likely a crateful of Super Record and such, too..

torqueless":1vqqxie7 said:
I don't get it.

On the evidence of Osk's video, here's a frame that's supposed to be 753 but apparently weighs in like 531. The transfers are under-dimensioned and badly placed. The dropouts are like podgy two-dimensional Campag. 1010s that somebody forgot to finish...And who is buying these frames? Apparently not people who don't know the difference, or people whose nostalgia for such things hasn't yet been indulged, but people who already have one or more vintage SBDU frames, and likely a crateful of Super Record and such, too..

I don't think that many have been sold. There are only 250 across all sizes and all are still in stock. You can get some pretty special classic bikes for £2500 - well specced and in super condition

Re:

The big cassettes just don't seem right to me, but that's just personal. I'd buy the frame only if it was me. 1980 was the first Tour I saw so it's nice to see, and great to see Joop as well. :D

The paint finish is nice and smooth but a little thick, so things like the frame number aren't sharp and crisp. One of my options is to build it - I'd build it with new Ultegra. I'm sure it will ride really well. Alternatively, if I wanted to see what could be done, I can work on it a little. I'd happily do some work on those ends and then repaint. Sounds like a daft thing to do, but this frame has the potential to be really nice. I only wish Raleigh had just gone the extra mile with a bit more attention to detail and finish.

The frame fittings are bog standard, nowt special. They look exactly like the lugs and BB that I used when I did my Dave Yates frame building course. The weight will be in these lugs, BB and frame ends. Unlike the SBDU that selected better lugs and then spent time finishing and thinning them, there is no additional work on this frame. It is std 753 tubing put together with heavy fittings.

I tried to come across in my video positively, and said a few times that it is nice looking (and it is), and ultimately it is a brand new Reynolds 753 frame, just badly executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back