New rotors or not

Not sure if I've upset anyone as it's only the mention of the hose's that went over my head as I never even considered or thought about them.

What I did do while checking for leaks on the calipers was to check the whole system while it was under pressure and it was all spot on. This is on both front and rear brakes

Even though ( thankfully ) my brakes aren't at the moment leaking I'm pleased members have mentioned different things along the line as I've carried out these checks where possible so I know where I'm currently at.

If my new pads don't improve my braking that's when I will now worry as everything should be working as it should.

One thing I haven't done that was said is to use different brake fluid and that's because I've only just flushed it all through with newly bought shimano mineral oil.

I would say there's every chance it's just pad contamination.The petrol probably wouldn't help matters.If you've got good feel at the lever,but you're just not slowing,that should be the problem.No point going down the hose/fluid route if the lever feels good.Sometimes it can be impossible to fully clean contaminated pads,just have to go new.
As mentioned cleaning fluid needs to be a finer distillate than petrol.Acetone/alcohol/brake cleaner.Never used electrical solvent for this,but personally I find it a bit more oily than the others.Nail polish remover is generally acetone based,contains a few percent.
Nice new,clean pads (without any greasy fingerprints on them) and a suitably cleaned rotor,I'm sure you'll be back in business!

Pads were delivered this morning, I bought them from tredz as didn't want to chance getting knock offs from eBay.

Anyway with pads now fitted, everything checked and quadruple cleaned in various ways. I'm please to say that both front and rear lock up with ease.

So it was the pads after all but I'm very happy to have given the brakes a health check along the way that I wouldn't have even thought about if it hadn't have been posted here

Sounds good. But remember Young Skywalker, assumptions that brake pads were not contaminated by weird tiny leak is opening a path to the Dark Side. In other words, keep an eye out. The toilet paper test should be definitive - ie no 'spray leaks' - but just keep an eye open. First time round with my XTs I whacked new pads in....then a couple of days later they were braking badly again - that's when I started looking for a spray leak. And found it. Luckily in enough time to decontaminate the pads and change the caliper. Sorry about the excursion into hoses - I think Matt thinks I am barking up the wrong tree.....very interested in his take on that one....

Yeah for sure I will keep my eye on the possible caliper leak but at least now I know about that possible failure.

Oh dear - have I said something silly?
No, not at all, don't worry about it! TBH, it's exactly the sort of thing i'd expect to read on STW actually! Someone claiming a massive difference, given that it's a ~0.2mm change in diameter. In a hydraulic system using relatively low viscosity oil at low pressures.

More likely to be a bleed issue. Caliper misalignment. Pad contamination.

Had a few rides on this now and the brakes are in full working order. So just new pads and a clean up of the rotors did the job

Happy days! Pads will soak up all sorts of contaminants,have to be careful to avoid anything getting on them,easy to get a bit of lube overspray etc in there.Greasy fingerprints on a disc can do it.I had it once because I was using a wash n wax to clean my bike regularly.There‘s no shifting it once it‘s got into the friction material,tends to just sweat out when you use them.
If the lever is firm but the brakes aren‘t stopping you like they should ,can only be contaminated pads really.
Pleased to hear you’re sorted!

Back