New Old-School Purchase Advice

funkster

Dirt Disciple
Good Evenin All.

New to the forum - I am keen to re-visit the Mountain Bike days of my youth - we used to ride mainly Saracen, Marin, Muddy Fox - back in the early 90's - would love to get my hands on one of those bikes again - any advice as to what are considered these days to be the classics from that period? - it would have to be steel, no suspension etc, kitted out with Deore or above - just in case anyone has a particular bike in mind - it would be an 18 or 19.5 frame, and would have to be close to mint condition - sorry but I don't fancy re-visiting some of the bikes I trashed 20 years ago!

Would love to hear your thoughts on the classic models of the period - also any ideas outside ebay?!

Cheers

Miles

funkster":10z4oqto said:
any ideas outside ebay?!

er, here :D

Welcome to retrobike. Take some time to surf around and re-kindle your memories, you'll soon find more than enough to salivate over.

Hello and welcome.
If you're looking for a complete bike them keep your eyes on the 'For Sale' section as full bikes often get listed by other forum members.

Or you could build up your ideal bike by sourcing all the parts individually either on here or eBay.

There are plenty of good reliable Saracens around still as well as a few Marins. Not quite so many Muddy Foxes about though.
The old Deore is a good bench mark too, but also consider DX, LX and STX as good mid-range start points for a bike build.

And finally; fully rigid, steel frame, thumbshifters, canti brakes and skinwall tyres. Ticks all the retro boxes.

May I suggest an Orange?
There's the classic workmanlike Clockwork, the dependable Prestige, the racy P7, or the exquisite Vitamin T.
Can you tell I used to ride an Orange in the early/mid 90's??? Lol.

Back