New here - I usually ride a hard tail steel MTB

I'd say you normally ride 'rigid' not 'hard tail' as no front suspension?? You don't use spiked tires in the snow?

I'd say you normally ride 'rigid' not 'hard tail' as no front suspension?? You don't use spiked tires in the snow?
I consider a hard tail bike one that has no rear or mid suspension. I am not sure what we'd call something with no suspension at all. Yes indeed regarding the spiked tires (we call them studs over here). In that winter picture above, the rear was a Schwalbe GT365 and the front a Continental Spike Claw studded. Last year was the first Winter using the GT365. It is not a tire which can handle slippery ice conditions but is useful in other Winter road conditions. I'll run the GT365 front and back until they run out of ability and then switch to the configuration shown. When conditions get still more difficult, studs go on the front and back.

I consider a hard tail bike one that has no rear or mid suspension. I am not sure what we'd call something with no suspension at all. Yes indeed regarding the spiked tires (we call them studs over here). In that winter picture above, the rear was a Schwalbe GT365 and the front a Continental Spike Claw studded. Last year was the first Winter using the GT365. It is not a tire which can handle slippery ice conditions but is useful in other Winter road conditions. I'll run the GT365 front and back until they run out of ability and then switch to the configuration shown. When conditions get still more difficult, studs go on the front and back.
Are the winters 2.0?

I'm in Calgary. Just took my Rockhopper on it's first snow run, sans studs. Wet snow, melting quickly on the pavement. I was more interested in prepping for tomorrow's commute, in terms of layers, and "what to wear". It'll be -4 when I depart (approx. 27km round trip), and +6 when I depart for home. I've seen a very similar Kuwahara on Kijiji recently. Very cool bikes.

Imlach: If I could ship you a Bigfoot, trust me, I would! ;)

Latest posts

Back