New groupset on old frame?

somefool

Dirt Disciple
Hello,
I have a 90's CAAD 3 road bike and the old 105 gruppo is comin to its end . Wondring if I should just slap a new 10 speed one on it or take the time to source an older 9 speed one? Its not exactly a classic steel bike for a l'eorica run or anything but I wonder if Id regret not sticking to the parts of its era? Opinions/advice welcome!!

Buy a new 5800 group and don't look back. I did it with my old aluminium LeMond when 5700 was 'new' and it really is the logical thing to do.
New road groups really are that good. In fact, were I to do it again, I'd go new Ultegra, from Ribble/Merlin. Insane prices.
Cannondale CAADs have a more modern look that takes new components very well. In fact, a CAAD 3 has a far higher standard of finish and beauty than the new CAAD 12, imo.

I'd go with the mechs, brakes and shifters but keep the chainset.

All the latest chainsets appear to be designed by either Darth Vader or the Power Rangers.

Best of both worlds I'd say.

hamster":3460ikpc said:
All the latest chainsets appear to be designed by either Darth Vader or the Power Rangers.
This I agree with. Even Campag have fallen from grace. Just horrible.

hamster":38y4iivl said:

That's probably a good idea, octalink BB is the killer, would like everything to be compatible with the other bikes but looking good comes at a cost I suppose :p

Yes, go with a modern grouppo - the deals on 10 speed 105 have been outstanding recently. I don't mind my modern chainset on my steel 90's GT and I think the Cannondale even more suited to it.

I putted a Sram Force 10 speed gruppo and other modern stuff on a 1998 Colnago Master frame and it's the nicest looking (and riding) bike I ever had. Rides like a good old steel steed with the comfort (shifting, gear range,...) of a modern one. And "only" weighs 8,5 kilo.

2jb9r8w.jpg

I would definitely go for a modern groupset.

... never one to miss an opportunity to post a picture of my bike :LOL:
It's a 1986 frameset with all 2014 components.

Attachments

• SBDU_7870_01.jpg
    SBDU_7870_01.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 580
Re:

I'm with the others on this....go modern , I've got a Caad 3 and a caad 4 18 ans 15 years old respectively still great bike imop and if I was going to replace the whole groupeset in one go ide defo go for the benefits of newer technology, best of both worlds ;)

Mick :)

Back