New Galvanised Spokes

GrahamJohnWallace

Retrobike Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
I am hoping to build some wheels using NOS hubs and rims. But to keep them original spec, I need to use galvanised spokes.

Specifically; 12 gauge 254 mm ones.

Does anyone know of a current supplier of galvanised spokes?

Cheers,
Graham

Y'all realise that link is to a company selling motorcycle stuff right?

I know you are saying galvanised was the original spec but surely upgrading to stainless would be worthwhile? Like, they didn't choose galvanised for any reason other than price.

Y'all realise that link is to a company selling motorcycle stuff right?
Yes. 12g galvanised motorcycle spokes will be identical to the same gauge bicycle spokes though shorter than the 254mm ones I need.
I know you are saying galvanised was the original spec but surely upgrading to stainless would be worthwhile? Like, they didn't choose galvanised for any reason other than price.
Yes it's purely about keeping to the original early 1980's spec and look. Though I guess that unpolished stainless spokes would look similar to newly galvanised ones.

I agree that from an engineering and aesthetic point of view, polished stainless steel, butted-spokes would be better.

I'd go with stainless, they have been used since the 1950's. Chances are your bike came with galvanized as a cost cutting measure. I've had 3 early 80's mtb's & all had stainless spokes.

The most important characteristic of these early MTB wheels is their use of heavy=duty 12 gauge spokes. A feature that was later dropped in favour of lighter spokes, butted spokes and more spokes per wheel.

The late 1980's versions of these wheels used 14 gauge single-butted stainless spokes, but I definitely want to go with the look of the earlier un-butted 12 gauge spokes. I think that using stainless would be ok, as newly galvanised can be quite shiny. Maybe, there is an easy way to dull-down stainless spokes?

Back