Need help with Raleigh Europa T1

Update: Still no luck removing the fixed cup on the BB. I'm convinced it was installed and then painted in the factory. The colour on the cup perfectly matches the frame, and the few areas of the frame where the paint is chipped don't show any colour underneath (so it seems likely that this is the original paint job). Weird.

I tried soaking it in penetrating oil for a hour or so, then wailing on it to no success.

Jx2tLhcm.jpg
y7mSfl6m.jpg
2Eyk6kDm.jpg

I don't own the Park tool HCW-11, and 46.00 CAD from Amazon is almost what I paid for the frame ... so I've been trying the bolt+washers method. I'm worried about damaging the inside chase if I torque it on too tight.

So instead of getting more frustrated, I left the BB and decided to dismantle and clean up the chain rings:

gQh1UUcm.jpg

NtntifHm.jpg

hpNG4U7l.jpg

And clean up the fork and headset chases, all of which seem in pretty ok condition:

eSeEu1Ll.jpg

1gwYIMAl.jpg

Re:

I'm not a patient man, so like you would give it an hour or so and then act, but others on here suggest waiting days for the penetrating fluid to work

Re:

Do you need to remove that cup?
Just clean it and regrease from the other side of the bottom bracket is in decent condition.

Re: Re:

chrisv40":xcmtnqvo said:
Do you need to remove that cup?
Just clean it and regrease from the other side of the bottom bracket is in decent condition.

I agree, that’s probably the easiest option at this point. I originally had thoughts of upgrading the drivetrain (so switching to a more modern bottom bracket), but that would have its own issues with thread size, etc., I suspect.

Latest posts

Back