Need help identifying what gearing system goes on this vintage Torpado

stephen_torpado

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of restoring a vintage 1950/1960's era Torpado.
I need help trying to figure out what derailleur components go on this frame as i have trouble figuring this one out.

The frame only has one right side braze on hole for a downtube shifter (nothing on the left side)
the bottom cable guide has 2 holes, one pointing towards the rear derailleur and the other pointing upwards towards the braze on mount for the front derailleur.

The idea of this being a 5 speed is canceled out by the need for a front derailleur
if this is for a 10 speed, what shifter would control the front derailleur?
My thoughts would be a Simplex double control levers / shifters for JUY 53 (but is this accurate or period correct for a Torpado?)
or a 5 speed single shifter with a front derailleur that is manual or lever controlled (but then why a cable guide pointing towards the front derailleur braze on?)

pictures are attached to better visualize this puzzle

thanks in advance for any input
img-1959-jpg.479072

img-1960-jpg.479073

img-1969-jpg.479082

Hi Stephen, guessing you had that frame re-chromed? I have a `53 Torpado Gran Sport with Agrati lugs like yours, except 50`s Torpado`s didn`t have braise on guides or downtube boses, they used band on, so either its a late 60`s frame or its had braised on parts added - if it was a painted frame with chrome lugs you might have spotted the additions when stripped down as the lugs were only dipped in the tank leaving the rest of the frame steel, though they did do some chromovolato frames in a rather nice deep red which is often stripped off as it falls off - what did it look like when you got it?

Very smart :). Simplex did a front mech that attached to a tab behind the seat tube. Way before my time though lol.

Hi Stephen, guessing you had that frame re-chromed? I have a `53 Torpado Gran Sport with Agrati lugs like yours, except 50`s Torpado`s didn`t have braise on guides or downtube boses, they used band on, so either its a late 60`s frame or its had braised on parts added - if it was a painted frame with chrome lugs you might have spotted the additions when stripped down as the lugs were only dipped in the tank leaving the rest of the frame steel, though they did do some chromovolato frames in a rather nice deep red which is often stripped off as it falls off - what did it look like when you got it?
yup i had the frame re-chromed as it was my late dad's bike, he had got it at a garage sale in the early 70's i think.
I'm in the process of doing a period correct proper restoration but stuck on the transmission confusion.
the Frame did have some red and yellow paint near the lugs area.

The thing is how would i know if the braze on's were original or added afterwards? another hint on the era would be that the seat post uses the rare 26.8 types.

I would have expected the front mech to be cable operated one, given that there are two cable guides on the BB. Using a Simplex double lever on the single down tube shifter boss?
totally agree but a simplex twin double lever with a cable lever front mech (such as in the photo below) is impossible to find.

OGEcPFnjRtyEOK0zOxrhr8yxn-8WuqXtnceiVUK2iNsVOmIag6eNfvLF0V5Y22osOY21pJixnjD6GiFGIY-UoYCk9e1RiMAFL5RD617_vQ

Ahhh, yep. See your point. There's not a glut of them for sale :( is that a Campag downtube boss?

Back