Name the builder of this early bike.

GT BIKE RIDER

Retro Guru
Hello to all.Was wondering if anybody knows who built this early mountain bike.
I am contemplating to put it up on the bay soon.Just need some info on it.
Its fillet brazed,has mafac canti brakes with magura motorcycle brake levers.
Suntour mighty shifters.Specialized stem and bars of the early bikes.
The cable rounting and hanger under the bb is very interesting.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.I will try and get back soon since I am in and out a lot.Thanks again.

Re:

Looks like mid 80's USA bike.
Start working your way through this:
http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/bike_list.html

It's not Ritchey or Fisher AFAIK as they used an external tube over the top of the seattube.
Should be easy to identify from the top tube cable stops, the lack of external tube and the cable guide on the bottom bracket.

Re:

Hi.Sorry for the delay.
I am not familiar with Malcolm. I know its not a ritchey.
I found on Mombats site tom ritcheys 1981 palo alto bike and the top tube cable stops look the same as this bike.I think same time frame.Heres a pic.

I am leaning towards early 80s due to the fact it has mafac brakes,mighty suntour shifters,magura levers and the stumpjumper bars and stem from the firsts specialized stumpjumpers. The crankset has no doubt been replaced along with the bb.
I have seen this type of ritchey esque type fork,Its tange 5b ,as early as 81.Its possibly is original or was later added.
Now I have seen some early ritchey serial numbers that are in the same fashion as this one.They are as example 1R0077 .Meaning 1st digit is year or frame style then R for ritchey and the the frame number.
This one I think could be 1 for 1981,O for builder and the the 11th frame made.
The only builder that I could fing with an O is Otis Guy.In his website its states he
started building bikes in 1982.

Back