My Moser Leader Ax Build

vaeske

Dirt Disciple
greetings again from Oz.

My impulsive buys have given me more pain then gain but i'm glad i went through it.

I purchased a great looking 1992 F.Moser Leader Ax frame in green livery just like the one Gianni Bugno rode in the World Championships in Stuttgart. I had it built with 9 speed 7700 dura ace groupset and rode it for over 2 years as my main commuter. It's solid as a rock, built with Oria XX tubing and has internal brake cable guides and a timex quill seat post.

After getting a bikefit done, i realised the bike was not the right size so have decided to restore it back to how Mr Bugno rode it, with the exception of the ITM Eclypse stem and bars. I also knew that Mr B was one of the last few riders to convert to Dura Ace STIs but I put them on anyway. I'm lacking a front dura ace braze on derailleur but a 600 tri-colour will do for now. I'm a bit sad to have to bid it farewell to it but i always had a smile on my face everytime i rode it! I think its a fair build but may switch to the DT shifting if I can find some 7400 lever hoods. Dura ace hubs laced to mavic open cd rims spin endlessly. Awesome. Anyway here it is.

Re:

nice,ive always liked the style of paint on these.
oria xx sounds a bit different as well .

Re: Re:

oonaff":u4wuq2su said:
nice,ive always liked the style of paint on these.
oria xx sounds a bit different as well .

+1

Tbh , I bloody love these bikes , both in the Gatorade colours here , and more so , the Chateau d'Ax previously . How long were you searching for the seatpost btw ? Rarely see them for sale .
As you mentioned , would look even better with d/t shifters and aero levers . Maybe silver chainrings too ? Just a thought .
Are you selling it btw , purely out of curiosity , it looks too big for me , but you said you'll be sad to see it go .

Mike

Re:

Yes Mike, unfortunately I find it very difficult to source the brake lever hoods from here in Australia. Also I think there are more opportunities to sell it with STI shifters, (more demand?)

Certainly will look to try with silver rings too!

Unfortunately I do have to move it on yes due to the size. I ride a 56. Plus I prefer the bianchi better.

I was very lucky to have gotten the bike with the times post so didn't have to over extend the budget.

hi ive stumbled back on to this thread,my initial comments were, i apologise due to nobody else seeming to say
any thing about your bike after 3 days ? since then and 2 years into what would seem to be a 20 year apprenticeship, due to another thread about racing steel refinement before the pro peleton use of ally and carbon i realise its quite WICKED ! a kind of mxl rival with ovalised tubing ? and probably one of the best looking steel forks
ive seen !any one got any racing pics ?

Back