My Merlin Malt123?

kyle888

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i all this is my Merlin Malt not sure what year it is but I like the pre 97 section so I've put it here.

I bought he frame off ebay and the clear coating was peeling from oxidisation of the alloy the previous owner had also tried to sand it back roughly in a couple of places.

Anyway I flatted it all down then took it to work and got the car mop on it in my lunch break half an hour later and it was done.

Well anyway here it is parts are a mish mash but funds and time are very limited (2 kids under 4)

Items I'd like would be black rim/ grey lx hub front wheel.
98ish Rock shox sid's poss other.
Black seatpost and a saddle you can actually sit on!:)

Also seat hight is way down and flat peddles for messing around wheelieing out the front with my son!

kyle

Re:

Spec:
Frame: Merlin Malt 7005 20"
Fork: Rockshox indy c
Rear wheel: lx 9spd hub/ RhynoLite rim
Front wheel: GT hub/ Mavic x138 rim
Crank: Deore lx
BB: UN26
Pedals: CRC transparent black plastic flats
Brakes/shifters: Shimano Deore 3×9
Callipers: Tektro V's
Rear mech: Deore
Front mech: Deore lx
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seat: Bontrager
Stem and Bars: GT black
Grips: Some crap!

Re:

shiny bike!! Good job with the polishing.

They do ride really well those old Merlin frames. Mine is a '96 but has kind of triangular top and down tubes but not quite as pleasing to the eye as a simple round tube.

Re:

Thanks. I need to sort some new merlin decals as it looks a bit bare.
Its a nice frame with some nice welds!
I had an lts 3 before but this hardtail accelerates so much better no lag at all.

Re:

Nice. I really like the simple colour combinations. With a decent saddle that will look and (I suspect) ride great. It might be a be wee bit of a mish-mash but so what? Nothing wrong with a budget build that rides well. Good one :cool:

Re: Re:

jonthefish":xyp06893 said:
Nice. I really like the simple colour combinations. With a decent saddle that will look and (I suspect) ride great. It might be a be wee bit of a mish-mash but so what? Nothing wrong with a budget build that rides well. Good one :cool:

Thanks! just needs a few bits changing for black bits ie. Seatpost.

I think it'd look nice with some blue sid's with a blue border round the new merlin decal?

careful! Talk of custom decals and blue Sids - who knows where you will end up.

I have a black Tioga seatpost on mine, light, very good quality and similar to a syncros. Mine was about £10 off ebay. Saddle wise how about a Flite ti?

Mine used to have Indy C's back in the day. As you say the frame is so light and stuff (yet quite comfy for alu) they go like a rocket but with 63mm of travel and V's it makes for an exciting ride.

dyson":yqc7gvnd said:
careful! Talk of custom decals and blue Sids - who knows where you will end up.

I have a black Tioga seatpost on mine, light, very good quality and similar to a syncros. Mine was about £10 off ebay. Saddle wise how about a Flite ti?

Mine used to have Indy C's back in the day. As you say the frame is so light and stuff (yet quite comfy for alu) they go like a rocket but with 63mm of travel and V's it makes for an exciting ride.

Ha ha yeah then start with the xtr :) (I wish!)

Seatpost sounds reasonable I'll take a look!

The forks aren't that bad I was thinking more of weight and the look of the sid's which I loved when they came out bitd! The frame does seem to have a bit of flex for alloy. I haven't been out for a proper ride on it since changing the frame.

How much are flite ti's sounds expensive?

Cheers kyle

Hi Kyle

A decent flite is about 20-25. I will post a pic when I can this weekend. I prefer marzocchi forks myself especially the air ones like an mxc or x fly. Light and the travel is so plush. But those SIDS are good.

Sadly all the parts are going back on my Kona Kilauea this weekend. I was hoping to get a marzocchi fork cheap for the merlin but cash a bit tight just now and the z1 from the kona is 100mm so might wreck the handling on the merlin. Colour won't match either!

Back