My GT STS DH project

DesertRyder

GT Fan
This is my STS project.
So far I have gotten the rear shock functional with a custom rear spring perch. A stock replacement shock is in the works.
I have a slow leak in the front tube.
Formula disc brakes need more bleeding

Will be fitting a longer stem, changing to flat pedals, adding a set of vintage aluminum bar ends, and a vintage front brake booster to fill the empty space on the front fork.

Tonight while cleaning, I found the rear derailleur cable is nearly completely severed. Add another step to getting back to rideable condition.
How difficult to replace that internal routed rear derailleur cable?

shim.jpg cable1.jpg cable2.jpg stickers1.jpg stickers2.jpg

Tonight while cleaning, I found the rear derailleur cable is nearly completely severed. Add another step to getting back to rideable condition.
How difficult to replace that internal routed rear derailleur cable?

Chuffing’ awful. You do have one advantage though, you have an existing inner cable threaded through. Leave this in place at all costs! By the looks you just have bare cable going into the frame. I prefer to use ferrules as it’s neater and the outer sits in place better.

If it was me, I’d loosen the cable at the mech and pull enough through at shifter end to clip off the shaped end. Pull the old outer off in one piece and cut new one to same length. Fit ferrule. Feed new inner cable through shifter and outer and tape to old inner using a thin wrap of electrical tape. Carefully pull the old inner out from the back pulling the new one through with it. If you can find them, the sealed cable ferrules with the long tail are good to use at rear exit. Out cable sits a lot nicer using them.

If you lose the cable in the frame it gets more complex. I ended up having to use modelling wire to pull the inner through. I had to feed it through from the rear and manipulate it from inside of the head tube to come out the correct cable guide. Took about 4 attempts to pull inner through successfully.

Good luck.

Anyone know if it is bare cable that is internally routed or if it is aa complete housing pushed through?

In all honesty, I may drop it at the bike shop and have all new housings with ferrules on every end and new cable.
I guess it depends on what they want to charge me.

Bare cable.
You might be lucky and have a thin liner in place that can help guide the inner through. Most have gone at this stage though.

This is my STS project.
So far I have gotten the rear shock functional with a custom rear spring perch. A stock replacement shock is in the works.
I have a slow leak in the front tube.
Formula disc brakes need more bleeding

Will be fitting a longer stem, changing to flat pedals, adding a set of vintage aluminum bar ends, and a vintage front brake booster to fill the empty space on the front fork.

View attachment 572628

So, I patched the front tube and most of the parts came in the mail. Vintage bar ends, Odyssey U-plate stiffener, Ritchey Pro 150mm stem should be here tomorrow.

Installed the new flat pedals. Keeping the OE spec SPD's.

addons1.jpg addons2.jpg

Hello...Anyone have a link to anyone manufacturing the travel chips for STS/LTS trunnion mounts?

Seems like someone could machine these from Delrin or brass?

Could these be 3 d printed?

I'm looking for spares..just in case.

stripped allen head.jpg

frontendmods (2).jpg

Latest posts

Back