My first road bike (and project) Flacon 'Black arrow' 1976

Ryan99

Retro Newbie
Hi everybody, I picked up my first road bike today and thought I might enlist some of you in helping to distinguish where to go with this bike....

So I picked the bike up from a really passionate older guy after making an offer through Ebay. I know absolutely nothing about bikes, but do enjoy projects and thought this could be something to tinker with whilst also using it to cycle to work.
The bloke I bought it off told me this is a 1976 Ernie Clements Flacon 'black arrow' and said they are pretty rare now, he asked whether I collected bikes and explained that its the first road bike I've bought and that I wanted to spend a bit of time and money to get it looking nice again.

So a few questions for all you ladies and gents out thers.
Are there any particular tyres that would suit this bike best? I want something in keeping with the style of the bike, right now its got some Michelin World tour tyres which although hold air and seem alright, they are cracking a bit, I believe they are 27.5" if im not mistaken?

Does anybody have or know where I could find photos of the bike either restored or looking new?

What kind of parts I'll need to get this back to its former glory?

Also, whether I can get aftermarket decals to go back on the bike?

I've decided I want to keep those big lights on the bike, its really fitting with the aesthetic of the bike and I think they look really snazzy. I am going to change them over to a run off a battery though rather than the old school dynamo.

Any other suggestions, feedback etc. will be rrslly appriciated, I've only been up and down the road on it a few times but I think I might be a bit hooked on road biking 😅

Nice to meet you all
Thank you in advance
Ryan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210403-191336_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-191336_eBay.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20210403-191322_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-191322_eBay.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210403-191304_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-191304_eBay.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20210403-191257_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-191257_eBay.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 39
Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the world of tinkering :)

That looks like a good solid bike to start off on. If you want to find pictures of other Black arrows try an image search in your search engine if choice. Bear in mind the bikes you see may no longer be in original condition and may have had replacement parts fitted.

I think the wheels will be 27". Have a look on the rims for any sizes stamped or stickered on and have a look on the tyres too.

Are you trying to get it back to original spec? Are you expecting to increase its value by doing so? Be careful as you are more likely to spend more than you will ever get back. If it were mine I would enjoy the patina and any replaced parts and just make sure it is mechanically overhauled to improve the riding experience.

Rich.

Last edited:
Hi Ryan

You have a really nice and quite special Falcon there. It was first produced, I believe, in 1976 which is when you say the original owner bought it. It was introduced then as the Black Arrow 2000 and I am attaching an image of it from the 1976 Falcon catalogue.

This shows it fitted with tan wall tyres, as you have at the moment. These are obtainable by simply googling 27 x 1 1/4 tyres and choosing your tread pattern.

What is really good about the bike is that it looks like it has all the original equipment. The short racing mudguards and Weinmann side pull brakes for example. It also seems to have a cottered chainset, which started being phased out in the late 1970s. Brilliant that it is so original, in good condition and it needs nothing doing to it.

I wonder if you could do me an enormous favour and let me have the frame number? It will be on the frame under the bottom bracket. As the Falcon Marque Enthusiast for the Vintage Cycle Club I am building a database of Falcon frame numbers.

Screenshot 2021-08-29 at 10.45.38.png

Back