My 90s Ridgeback!

Alex C

Retro Newbie
Hi All
signed up today to see if there is any interest in my trusty steed from my teenage years. I had many great times on this bike and was going to donate it via Halfords to the cycle for all scheme but wanted to know if someone here might make better use of it. I recently tried to fit new shifters but one broke on me during fitting (mostly my fault) and I got fed up with it. Hence it doesn’t have a front mech shifter or brake lever, and I haven’t fitted the 2nd new grip to replace the old Ritchey grips. Many scrapes especially on the Flite Ti seat but still rides well. The elastomers in the Manitou comps are shot as well. I think the seat post is a “use” and the stem is an Uno.
any comments / interest let me know!

Hj2vd3C.jpg

zIn4K3P.jpg

xUFJ8yA.jpg

wmgT8aj.jpg

sc8V6Kx.jpg

9z24Uqv.jpg

Sadly, there's little value in the frame. I think I'm right in saying that it's a plain gauge cro-mo frame but these are not sought-after frames at all. I have a similar but slightly later Ridgeback 604GX frame and forks hanging in the garage; it seems roughly the same quality as a Hardrock but without the Specialized branding that would generate a certain amount of interest.

However, there is value in some of the parts, especially the fork, seatpost and saddle. (Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about that fork could put a value on it but I would guess at £25-£35 for each of the seatpost and saddle, depending on exact condition.) For those three things alone, it would be a shame to give it away to somewhere where those parts might not be appreciated. An STX rear mech is a very useful if not especially valuable thing, too. I can't quite tell from the photos what the chain set is. If you really wanted to help a charity, selling individual parts on ebay and donating the proceeds would probably be the way forward. If you sold the complete bike, I suspect it would be used as a parts donor but fetch less money.

Nice cat, BTW.

Thanks. The Frame is a double butted Cro-Mo I think (or partially single, partial double from my distant memories), but yes likely not worth much,

Regardless I have the parts stripped now and will post them up on here for sale and on ebay, maybe a 1" headset could be found a home as well as the forks and chainset etc

There's always interest in bikes we had when we were young so someone will fancy it. As said, the forks, seat post and saddle are sought after and maybe the bottle cage too?

Anyway, I'd put it up for £150, offer postage, mention the good bits in the title and see how you get on.

Back