Muddy Fox Prestige 1988 the £5k one.

I like the idea of removing the spokes, getting the rims rechromed in Bedford and rebuilt with shiny spokes, not cheap but over time it could be manageable and would be the only way to get the wheels back to their best. Be careful with the gold plating, don't polish it away.`

Don't worry...I've had some experience with gold plating so know to treat it carefully, also this is 'rough' pitted in places so not ideal...best will be just to clean it.

I should probably take a wheel up there (when I can) and see what they think about how well it'll work as they will definitely need stripping/smoothing off to get any kind of a decent finish....or maybe send pics initially.
Theres also a place in Essex I used once...but won't go there again.

Cokes your acid, salt your electrolyte, flour makes it less runny and the alluminium is your abrasive.

Im not even going to pretend to know how the science works, but its something to do with the reaction with the chrome. It certainly removes rust marks a d very often the light " eruptions " on the chrome.....

Given the state of them i cant see you have much to lose.

I did call them....they sold their LTD Ed with the gold bits ages ago apparently & no idea who to.....wonder who got it and what they paid? clearly no one on here.
It cropped up on here a few times with photos in someone’s garden. I think someone not the OP posted a link to a flickr or photo bucket account with photos of it in Hatfield Cycles to highlight a dent in the top tube - I think we then get a bit of confusion as it wasn’t clear who was the owner. Pretty sure the actual owner did post a thread but I can’t find it.

I think I last saw it on eBay last year with a lower start price as an auction. I don’t think I even put it in my watch list as I figured it had been up a few times unsold and would either get shill bid or withdrawn when it didn’t reach what they hoped for.

yes.....I've read all the threads on it and had downloaded the flicker pics prior to bidding on the one I bought as it has most of the same components. Saw the confusion as the seller/owner kept jumping on conversations to do with the black prestige implying it was the same bike...seems their only interaction on this site was trying to flog that machine.

Surprised someone bought it if they got anywhere near their start price, but could have been a walk-in at their shop....so imagine it was a lot less.

If you start with refinishing surfaces (chrome, gold) you will be going down the rabbit hole IMHO. If you start with one item all others will look rubbish. Clean&leave as is would be my approach. The bike doesn´t look too bad overall, does it?

Re the roller brakes: I think they where only available as OEM, some Kuwaharas had them also IIRC.

Back