Muddy Fox Monarch Sport 96/97?

Stressed

Muddy Fox Fan
Feedback
View
So I got this frame back in August for the princely sum of £20 on eBay. I was just browsing and when I saw it I got to lamenting the loss of my old Courier Comps of the same era- both stolen(sad face)- so I made an offer and picked it up. The Courier Comp was a standard steel CroMo frame at the time whereas this one is double butted so I already felt like I was onto a winner...(more to follow)

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,269
  • s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 782
Muddy Fox? S**t, right? Certainly now, but pre 2000 they were still pretty decent- not quite up there with the late 80s heyday, but I remember the grin on my face when I tootled up the road from the bike shop trying it out. Of course I looked on enviously as someone rode past on their burnt-orange Fire Mountain out on a trail one day, but I loved my aubergine/eggplant Courier at the time and it brought me alot of joy and many fond memories. So now I'm going back somewhere, I think, but moving forward too- and I can't wait to ride this thing when it's done!
The frame is stripped, painted and decalised(!?). All components but chain and cables on...(pics and more to follow)!

Stressed":3dwsbam4 said:
Muddy Fox? S**t, right?

Wouldnt say Shi+ , just an aquired taste, when you look at these they have the orange clockwork look about them with the monostay, granted yours have the kicked in stays but it is a few years on from when the clockwork hit the scene. I always seem to think they had the high class name on the frame but usually had naff parts.

weirdly I just brought home a Monarch Ultra frame and fork, its made from tange ultralight Prestige tubing and originally had some XT M737 components, SRT800 and also Magura branding under the clearcoat......Not so naff!

Re:

So after a couple of weeks with the paint stripper and wire brushes it was finally ready to have a nice metallic grey powder coat. Brought it home and put the decals on...

Attachments

• P1060680 resize.JPG
    P1060680 resize.JPG
    436.5 KB · Views: 659
  • P1060657 Resize.JPG
    P1060657 Resize.JPG
    501.9 KB · Views: 659
  • P1060658 rs.JPG
    P1060658 rs.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 659
Couple of weekends fettling later and it's getting there. Bought the wrong shell size BB so that delayed things a bit. Also needed a stem shim as I mis-researched(?) the diameter of the bars. Finally got everything on and adjusted yesterday and now I'm just waiting on some ferrules to sort the front shifter cable...took it out yesterday for a quick spin and nothing fell off/ broke/ malfunctioned so happy days!

Attachments

• P1060707rs.JPG
    P1060707rs.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 657
  • P1060698rs.JPG
    P1060698rs.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 653
  • P1060697rs.JPG
    P1060697rs.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 654
  • P1060693rs.JPG
    P1060693rs.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 656
So I got the ferrules for the front mech cable and set about some more fettling. No matter what I tried it wouldn't go into the third ring. Turned out I'm really bad at getting the right BB- already replaced for the right shell size and now I've figured that the spindle's too long at 118mm! 113mm axle BB on the way which should get it sorted- definitely learned something there:) By next weekend I should be able to get to the best bit: riding out to places wet and windy!

Last edited:
Back