MTB races being cancelled

hamster":1i2ukp4q said:
I think it's the general pattern of leisure activity: more spontaneous and requiring less investment in time. Golf is down 25% in 10 years, I see sailing boats waay down in price, my own sailing club survives increasingly by sailing instruction.

Yet camper vans are at silly prices.

MTB racing always seems to be exclusive and does little to include newcomers...I've ridden MTBs for 25 years and still feel fearful bout racing! It also demands a lot of time and money to travel to events. Yet Sportives seem to do well (even if I avoid them like the plague having done a couple).

How very thoughtful and well put. Nail. Head. Hit.

Liking the idea of MTB Sportives though. that could be quite popular.

Stick Legs":3thctl65 said:
hamster":3thctl65 said:
I think it's the general pattern of leisure activity: more spontaneous and requiring less investment in time. Golf is down 25% in 10 years, I see sailing boats waay down in price, my own sailing club survives increasingly by sailing instruction.

Yet camper vans are at silly prices.

MTB racing always seems to be exclusive and does little to include newcomers...I've ridden MTBs for 25 years and still feel fearful bout racing! It also demands a lot of time and money to travel to events. Yet Sportives seem to do well (even if I avoid them like the plague having done a couple).

How very thoughtful and well put. Nail. Head. Hit.

Liking the idea of MTB Sportives though. that could be quite popular.

Perhaps something like this as an MTB 'sportive'?
https://lulworth.com/news/lulworth-off-road-ride-2016/
Feedback suggests it was only 40 riders, some of whom stopped for cream teas on the way back (sounds good), but maybe more the event I'd try out (in this case usually less accessible land).

That Lulworth event is the sort of thing I'd like a crack at too... Sounded good :)

I also believe (as mentioned) there is a connection to popularity and price. As the popularity went up so has the cost of cycling and cycling events, more events are put on by organisers who saw the cycling boom as a get rich quick opportunity and now supply exceeds the demand with low popularity due to these prohibitive costs. I guess the price of going to a sportive must be between £60 - £100+ depending on travel, overnight costs and food. This outlay is unsustainable to the poorer members of the cycling community and as the popularity drops the MAMIL types look for the next "in thing" (which will probably be walking) then the cycle will repeat itself with increasing frequency as the younger generations replace the old.
I myself used to help organise MTB races (mainly DH) the costs of insurance, medical cover and transportation became to much that the entry fees paid by the riders could not cover the costs. As the service suppliers saw the profit potential they put up there prices to get a bigger slice of the pie.

but so many folk pay £300-500 for weekend listening to over rated pop stars!!!! racings been quiet for many years imho, places to race, insurance etc all put people off. the few big ones still get good numbers but xc has never been as big as it was in the early 90s, mainly down to how great dh is for viewing and the buzz?

ive done a few local charity off road sportives/rides and theyre fantastic, theyre just not advertised well, to easy to rely on free media such as facebook and twitter so nowt gets put in mags anymore :(

this is one of the reasons we should make more effort to promote retro at races, keep the buzz and nostagia alive and maybe get some new/old blood back in the saddle......

I would be racing every day if it wasn't for those helmet fascists forcing me to put a lid on...

:evil:

26er":34hpnwgw said:
I would be racing every day if it wasn't for those helmet fascists forcing me to put a lid on...

:evil:
That's just sensible though. What's wrong with wearing a helmet? It's stupidity not to from experience, especially when racing?

Back