Mountainbike Museum. Arnhem

justbackdated

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well, about a month ago Mrs JBD and myself visited Arnhem and managed to make two visits to the new Stichting Mountainbike Museum set up by Jeroen van Roekel. There is a thread elsewhere on here about the grand opening.

To say we were 'blown away' during our visits is a bit of an understatement! :shock:
Initially just the sheer number of bikes that one man has collected slaps you in the face, but then the realisation of both what is going on, and the potential of the collection sinks its teeth into you.

Jeroen showed us round the buildings, which used to be a school, with 4 'classrooms', a gym and smaller office and store rooms etc. The gym is set up with a wood burning stove, sofas and tables etc in the style of a chill out zone, bikes and frames hanging from the climbing frames etc., while the classrooms each house the main collections of bikes. outside there is a car park/display area and more cafe style seating.

The museum is situated on the northern outskirts of Arnhem and is an ideal base to start a ride into the plentiful forest areas the surround the town or indeed into the historic town itself to visit the "Bridge Too Far". Being The Netherlands of course, there are cycle paths absolutely everywhere!

Jeroen is quite open to some form of organised retro events and I promised that we would put a few pics on RB just to show what the museum has to offer. The museum is very much still in its infancy and it will be interesting to follow its progress and development by its extremely enthusiastic owner!

Our thanks go to Jeroen for allowing us to drool over most of the displays!! :D

Attachments

• P1090306.JPG
    P1090306.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,808
  • P1090301.JPG
    P1090301.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 1,808
  • P1090307.JPG
    P1090307.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,808
  • P1090302.JPG
    P1090302.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,808
  • P1090304.JPG
    P1090304.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,808
  • P1090309.JPG
    P1090309.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,808
  • P1090311.JPG
    P1090311.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,808
  • P1090293.JPG
    P1090293.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,808
Yes - need to visit next year. Fancy a bit of a cycle tour via Utrecht - it's only 150kms each way from the Hook.

Re:

I feel like I could spend a long time oggling those bikes! WOW! :shock:

Great review and cool pics there! :)

I've been promising myself a visit since I heard (and read) about the grand opening - it's a stunning collection. :cool:

Re:

I'm hoping to get over there shortly... my missus will love every minute of me drooling and pointing at random stuff.

al.

Really nice guy, very enthousiastic and were I stopped with my Mountainbike passion in 1995/1996 he went on scoring nice bikes. No I'm back he has over 700 bikes and lots of nice parts.

Also he can take you on a tour in our flat country. You will go completely to the "kloten". Very difficult terrain ;-)

19 and 20 december he has a open weekend with a lot of things to do for all of us!

See you all then ;-)

Greetings, Dirk

Re:

Amazing. Lusted after that Hemming's Harlequin fade for years...hoping in vain it might come up for sale...but it's great it's on public display. I will have to make the pilgrimage at some point. :cool:

Back