Mid Nineties Mavic spoke length chart

rollercam

Dirt Disciple
The photo scan was not ideal, MTB spoke lengths are what I figure most people viewing this will need.
I have the the sixth edition Sutherlands manual and DT swiss Spoke clac chart as well and was thinking of shooting a quick video about how bicycle mechanics calculated spoke lengths before the internet was ubiquitous. If that is something anyone reading this may find interesting or are curious about please let me know.

Anyways hope this helps someone out, Cheers! mavic spoke length table.jpeg mavic spoke length table mtb shimano.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve saved the scan to my phone, thanks.

I’d be interested in hearing how mechanics used to calculate spoke lengths. I do my own rim and hub measurements, but just plug those numbers into an online calc.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it, thanks!

I started building my own wheels last year, partly because I always wanted to have a go, partly because of a few disappointments from local shops. I bought the Roger Musson pdf and printed it out, as I like a physical copy in front of me when I’m working.

He stresses is to do all your own measurements, as manufacturers stated ERDs are not always reliable these days, and like you, suggests to use at least 2 spoke calculators.

I’ve only built 7 wheels but they’ve all stayed true up to yet.

I'm glad you like the video, There are quite a few methods and resources that I am unfamiliar with so the video was definitely biased to my personal experience. It is nice that many resources for those interested in building their own wheels have become much more common and democratized. Cheers!

Back