Michelin Wild gripper Jets??

staytong

Dirt Disciple
Can anyone tell me about this tire(tyre)? I picked this up locally and thought it was quite the score, since it is unused, 26”, and seemingly good for a retro gravel bike setup. Turns out it’s a tubeless, so that’s not going to work for the rims I have. I have looked online for any info on this tire-price, years of fabrication, etc. I cannot find any evidence of its existence except the fact that I have one. Can anyone tell me about this? I’m going to sell it, but am wondering if it should be listed as NOS, or is not really OS?

Attachments

• F0DD7624-3393-4591-B1F1-B1297EE007DD.jpeg
    F0DD7624-3393-4591-B1F1-B1297EE007DD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 254
Re:

Can't help but don't see why you couldn't run it with a tube. I have plenty of tyres that are tubeless running tubes.

Ok, thanks Jimo.
I now have a fair idea of value. Still kind of curious about its production age, but I guess that’s not that important. What does UST stand for?

It's the mavic/michelin/hutchinson version of tubeless, may be some other manufacturers involved as well. Been kicking around about 20 years.

Doesn't really play that nice with tubes, or standard rims as the tyres reinforced (quite significantly) and has a funky bead shape to lock into a UST rim. Only need a splash of sealant as well (can be run without in some cases) unlike the TR/TL/ZTR type tyres, which use an almost standard casing, very mildly modified bead and a moderate amount of sealant.....

Re:

UST is "Universal System Tubeless", a catchy name coined by Mavic. The "Nagesti" on the side of your tyre is another name for the same thing, used by Michelin (obviously), Rigida, and a few others.
As above , the sidewalls are usually quite thick and they can be a bugger to fit, compared to more modern Tubeless Ready tyres anyway.

Back