MERTENS Track bike

Jake1

Retro Newbie
I posted this on Tonton Velo hoping for any info regarding the brand and builder. I didn't see a track bike section so I'm posting as a classic roadie. Repainted frame when I received it.
Weinmann rims (tubs) with wooden insert
Bayliss Wiley hubs and bottom bracket
Ideale saddle (refurbished)
Titan seat post
Lyotard pedals (original and replacement Marcel Berthet)
unknown crankset, bar/stem, rear cog
Chain might be Wippermann

MERTENS TRACK.jpg MERTENS TRACK HEAD TUBE.jpg MERTENS TRACK HEAD LUGS.jpg MERTENS TRACK SEAT CLUSTER.jpg MERTENS TRACK BB SHELL.jpg MERTENS TRACK CRANKSET REAR COG.jpg MERTENS TRACK BAR AND STEM SIDE VIEW.jpg MERTENS TRACK RIM AND TITAN POST.jpg MERTENS TRACK IDEALE SADDLE.jpg

Not sure if Mertens is a Dutch brand or Belgian brand. Also, I have no idea if they actually built the frame or just branded it. I assume year is 1940s-1950s

Attachments

• MERTENS TRACK FORK CROWN.jpg
    MERTENS TRACK FORK CROWN.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2
Another place you may want to try is the Belgian VeloRetroCourse forum. They generally converse in French, but you can post in English as well.
Thank you! I think I may have stumbled on that site, but can't remember. If I did, I'm sure I did a search; most of which gets hits on the Mertens name relating to saddles (no bikes, or shop hits).

I readily went to velo retro course and did a search there, but 0 hits referring to Mertens for anything. I will post the bike there as well and see if it stirs up any information. Presently the bike is posted on 3 forum sites without any definitive information. I would have thought that the brand name would have at least provided something. As close as I've gotten is that it may be Rijwielen Martens in Belgium (not sure why a company would use an alternate spelling of their name, but I see that Lygie/Ligie has done just that). I sent R. Martens a message, but they are in the process of closing the business this month after 80 years. They might not be too interested in someone just trying to glean info from them at this point in the game. I offered to buy some shop and frame decals just to add a little incentive for a response; that was about 10 days ago.

Last edited:
Thank you @Tommy27
I have corrsponded with an administrator on velo retro course ("VRC"), and have been informed that it is a Belgian marque with the frame most likely dating pre-WW2. I was not under the impression that the parts were necessarily original to the bike, but I was curious if they were of the correct period. It seems that some (or all) might be post-WW2, and possibly 1950s vintage. Regardless, I am still building with those parts. I might need a replacement lock nut on the headset since it does not seem to thread on tight even though I see no thread damage (maybe wrong thread pitch?); the bearing cup threads on just fine. I probably could use some brass shim material to provide a better fit for the nut, but that would just be a temporary repair.
I still need to post on VRC to determine if the community there can shed any more light on the subject. I'm still surprised at not seeing another example of this marque anywhere, nor any mention of the name aside from saddles.

You may have come across this already, but there was a "Mertens Sport" cycling team. According to Cycling Archives it was active from 1946 to 1952:

mertens sport.JPG

The riders that are listed all seem to be from the Antwerp area, which suggests a local team. FWIW.

EDIT: I posted a request for more information about this team and its sponsor on a Belgian forum. For those who want to follow along:

Mertens Sport 1946 - 1952?

Last edited:
Thanks @Tommy27 , @non-fixie , @Jesper. I had been posting on Velo Retro what you have provided. I am also working on another Belgium made frame that they are helping ID so I forgot to post back here. Thanks for keeping track (no pun!).

Tried to access Wielerarchieven site, but it is down.

Last edited:
Back