Mercian - King of Mercia - Touring Geometry 653 - update Page: 6

Hi Peter
It is a lovely ride for sure.
Up until very recently I had two Mercians, this and my 531C in road geometry. Several slight differences besides the usual geometry and angles etc between the touring and the road versions in that my other was 21" while this is 19 1/2 ". All these little things add up to a very different ride from each. I must admit that it took a lot of riding to make up my mind to stick with the tourer. Don't get me wrong both are lovely to ride but this just fits and feels better suited to my riding at this point. This was a hard decision to make as I had been riding my other one for years and had a real attachment to it and typically, had just had it repainted. Though once I had got this back out the loft and cobbled together it didn't take long to start rethinking my decision, and that was with it in winter commuting mode. This will most likely get some nicer components fitted now it is my #1 Mercian.
I did get this with quite a few marks and scrapes but have touched them in enough that a repaint is a long way off as it is such a nice colour.
It would have been nice to keep them both forever but a replacement cargo bike needed funded so I have kept the one I most like riding.
As for the 653, Reynolds and Mercian say that it is basically 531 main tubes with 753 rear stays. The 531 while being double butted is thinner drawn and a few other tweaks, but basically built for strength and comfort.
I have enquired with Mercian about an off road, disc braked version but due to angles etc it can only be done lugless. Maybe if I get saving :)

All the best

Jamie

A couple of photos from yesterdays ride out once again on the Mercian.
After the storms of the last few days and then pulling out of the Highland group ride with Brian down on the Black Isle due to weather, I thought I should make the most of the small window of calm, non raining weather on Sunday.
I had intended to stick to the backroads and head south west before looping home to the west, but the forecast rain showers turning to heavy rain were closing in from the distance so I actually did a loop in the opposite direction, following a well worn lockdown loop, turning each time I could see the rain closing in, until after a couple of hours I had to hightail it home pretty swiftly. Needed to make the most of it as the weeks forecast is breezy and wet to say the least.
At least I made the most and got a nice ride in, some roads were damp and some were wet from just missed showers but always good to be riding.
I am really enjoying being back out on this Mercian and am glad to say I definitely sold the right one. While I put lots of miles on the other one and loved them, this one just fits better and rides a bit nicer. It was always a keeper but sometimes it is nice to just ride it and confirm your thoughts.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Out today with Brian making the most of the calm weather after weeks of storms, rain and snow showers.
We spent the afternoon out through the quiet backroads and some dirt trails around Meig Dam up here in the Highlands.
Roads were still a bit damp and the dirt a boggy and slippery in places but great to be out after a very quiet fortnight.
The King of Mercia was its usual well behaved and very capable self. The roads were pretty good really with some rough patches, the usual gravel but not as potholed as the busier roads have become. Still lots of debris on the road from all the storms but overall still nice riding.
We explored a few of the trails as much as we could but most were still quite wet once you got well into them.
Thankfully Brian had brought his Thermos with coffee which was very welcome as the temp must have been only a few degrees at most but dropped rapidly as the afternoon wore on.
Another nice afternnos riding.

Jamie

Had a lovely afternoon out and about on the gravel out in the flow country around Loch More and to the west towards Altnabreac. Roads were pretty good and while there was a strong westerly wind at times, it was such a nice sunny day for a change.
This KOM handles this type of rough roads even nicer than my other KOM with the road geo and that was really nice on the dirt. It is to do with maybe fitting that little bit better but must in large be down to the more stable angled geometry. Slightly wider and higher volume tyres on this one, Rivendell/Planet X, Roly Polys in 30mm by Panaracer. The tyres worked well on all surfaces, which range from hard blue metal in the dirt which requires riding the edge of the road where the occasional car flattens it all out through to a sort of slick clay which is very fast and grippy when ridden near the edge then an orange sand type clay mix along with hard packed dirt embedded with big rocks, with all of these being well potholed. It's all relative to being ridden sensibly I must add as I was motoring along but I wasn't racing Strade Bianchi.
The SKS mudguards worked well as when I got home I barely had any mud/dirt on the underside as well.
So a really nice afternoons riding in some nice weather! Long may it continue.

Jamie

Had a couple of hours this afternoon/evening to head for a ride which thankfully coincided with the weather improving nicely. It wasn't too bad a day but it was nice to get a bit of sun. Just a couple of hours doing a local loop and home along the coast. Taking it easy, exploring some side paths.

Jamie

For me this was indeed a long weekend as I had Friday off work and Heather and I were meeting some close friends from down Liverpool way along with a couple of others we hadn't seen for a while for the weekend in Callendar, down in the Trossachs. Caleb had a Boys Brigade campout from Thursday night through until later tonight. So we were child free and heading for a nice hotel in a nice town to relax for the weekend.
Luckily I have a very understanding wife who agreed it would be a good idea to take a bike and check out some local routes while there. Maybe in the morning before everyone is up or later in the afternoon before dinner ;)
Well I put the Mercian in the van and some gear and ended up having two early morning rides consisting of a couple of hours each morning enjoying the glorious sunshine before heading back and joining the others for a late breakfast.
Saturday I headed east and took some dirt tracks which looped up a massive climb to a lovely waterfall.
Whereas Sunday I headed towards Killin on good old cycle route 7, the Lochs and Glens route I normally only ride the northern section of.
Beautiful cycle paths, lovely scenery made all the better by the lovely sunshine and warmth. Both days on the road by 7 and in shorts! Must be the Jubilee sun shining.
The KOM was its usual rock solid self whether on loose dirt or nice pathway and a joy to ride.

Jamie
Saturday Photos: