Re:

Few more....

_DSC1879_zpsb4ypovkd.jpg

_DSC1797_zpsatz8qfyy.jpg

_DSC1780_zpsldddm7s2.jpg

_DSC1771_zpsi9ofrtbx.jpg

_DSC1845_zpskxgwjlyf.jpg

_DSC1843_zpsencdoyeu.jpg

So. First of all thank you to one and all who organised the usual rabble of ne'er do wells who turned up for a weekend of mirth and merriment investigating the outer reaches of Princess Anne's 'garden'.

Having had a day to reflect I thought I might share my reminiscences from Planet History. After quickly packing the car with lots of essentials i didn't need and winding my way along familiar lanes i arrived at the knob to sneak the teepee in alongside the Retro marquee. Mike had already lined up his fleet as had Andy, adopting a new position balancing right on the tip of the knob with gazebo, mission speaker system, steak house, kleinerama, inflatable living room, multi bain-marie warming system, patio set, GENERATOR, 7ft high projection screen and of course The Intruder.

The first to cry off (there will be more of this later) was Edward Windowmaker with a suitably retro illness; sepsis or pleurisy or dry leprosy or something last contracted by the victorian underclasses. The rest of us fettled, displayed our assorted tat (most of which went home with it's conveyer) and drank a little to pass away the humid evening. Wing Commander Potato had displayed his flip charts and flow diagrams along side Mrs Taylor's caravan of love (If the van's a rockin') most of which went out of the window in the first couple of racing hours

On the morning of the race a ghostly memory emerged from between the tents. Then we realised it was Mike, AKA Granny Grinder, unseen since Mayhem 2014. Talk about right time right place. We offered a lap to which he made various excuses of needing to accompany an elderly aunt to evensong or some similar excuse so we gave him lap 2!

Cometh the hour........

Nobby started the 'race' with a gentle saunter and a ride. This was the time he was reported near a bicycle for the rest of the weekend. (More of this later) Mike stepped up and dropped in a respectable time and we were off! Conditions were good to firm. Our riders remained consistent in their mediocrity posting times that failed to raise an eyebrow on the JMC team robots. Splatterpaint manned his team clipboard, Mike Muz had a new fetching and matching outfit for each of his laps. The evening progressed. I hadn't failed to notice the WTF expressions on the faces of those wondering what i was doing there, lokking better suited to a pork pie convention or a Brian Blessed lookalike competition. Regardless, I fitted frank with the dropper from the Horse thief and tried not to make any more eye contact.

Not quite the reception expected for an emerging gladiator

The lap started well. All was familiar from my elevated position. The usual grassy descent into the trees and a little more of a meander before the first walk. I wasn't alone This is the point where the less 'race ready' of us ask ourselves what we are doing her, admire the woodland flora and dig in. Strangely I found myself pleasantly resigned to the choice of views. My HRM has multi screens you know. I did a Froome for a while untilI realised that the power meter seemed not to be registering. After a few more ups and downs I reached Marshal point 9 at the bottom of the old Kenda Coffin. After a pleasant chat and the offer of CPR from the first aider I settled for Haribo and was just about to depart when an over-zealous young person descended the first half with some skill and accuracy. Unfortunately the latter half was not so successful causing us to sidestep his tumbling frame as he landed at our feet. His full suspension hydro formed carlos fandango super wide extreme travel whatever sizer hadn't saved him from ignominy. I started the walk to the top of the descent, knowing all I had was Frank, A rigid rusty rockhopper of 97 vintage with a comedy front wheel and an 18+ stone pilot (see what i did there) to guide him. Knowing i had an audience of at least two and having had a good life, I reached the double down arrows, dropped my post and hung off the back. This is what we are doing here. The marshals looked on in disbelief as i passed, taking the right into the glorious light of the sunbaked field in a somewhat clenched but intact condition. I was a downhill god.

The rest of the lap went without incident. I paused before riding the knob in order to look vaguely casual as I passed my largely younger and lighter comrades in arms. Handed over, removed my helmet and rode slowly around the stadium with my race number clear for all to wonder at.

Saturday evening was the usual mixture of alcohol, lights, heckling, steak, chicken and rice and tales of laps long completed.

I retired to my tent at about midnight only to be woken minutes later by a handsome man with greying temples climbing into my tent. Hoping for Stewart Granger I quickly removed my earplugs and eye mask and prepared for an embrace. "Nobby's not doing his lap, you've been bumped up" said Oddball as he hastily withdrew. (Glad to see he made a speedy recovery once the threat of a ride was removed. Deja vu anyone?) It was 6am. For various reasons Oddball followed Gruff, I followed Oddball who had also preceded Gruff so he gets my vote for MVP. This time I set out on the Horse Thief. I felt faster, more confident, more in control. Making lines rather than following them. This continued all they way up until my non elective front dismount, requiring me to sit, humbled and winded for a few minutes while every passing rider asked "You alright?" This made a change from the usual greeting i get on my lap of "On your right!".

Anyway, strava and glacial erosion doesn't lie. Top speeds roughly equal at just under 30mph on the two bikes and moving lap times within two minutes.

Go Retro!

Darren decided to give fair warning to those approaching

Frank

Doug when he was still smiling.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8c.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,188
As many have said, great weekend and big thanks to boss man John, Spud for his energy and enthusiasm in sorting out the details, and Andy for his fantastic spirit and generosity.

As a newbie to a RB event, thanks to everyone for being so welcoming and finally shout out to Oddballs for supplying some fantastic ale.

Re:

> Amazing Weather

> Superb beer (free!)

> Delicious steak (free!)

> Endless bike talk

> Some racing

> Some bullsh**ting

> A whole lot of good people hanging out for the weekend :D Loved it.

SP

Attachments

• Pat_AwesomeFoursome.jpg
    Pat_AwesomeFoursome.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,188
  • Night.jpg
    Night.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,188
  • Steak.jpg
    Steak.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,188
  • Starting saunter.jpg
    Starting saunter.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,188
Re:

widowmaker: sounds bad :( I hope you'll be on the mend soon.

Awesome Foursome: Well done team!

Very consistent laps - barring bike failure / injury (Spud), grip coming off and splitting open (me). Time keeping was a doddle - I believe twister came into transition within 1 minute of the expected time at 3am! :shock:

Everyone got stuck in and did their best, which is the reason to be part of team after all. Having solo-ed 3 times, it was bloody great to be in a group of riders again. Aside from Spud's wobbly crank there were no major on-track mechanicals, which is pretty good advert for old bikes - especially as Mike had a fresh one each time. I'm looking forward to seeing the results - hopefully we did quite well :)

SP

Re:

Got home this afternoon to a London that is hotter than Gatcombe and with the prospect of work in the morning and yet I remain buoyed by the recollections of an amazing weekend.

Alternately gruelling and exhilarating my only regret is that I didn't attend Mayhem years earlier.

Favourite sentences over the weekend:

From Nick at 3:00am "WTF, Splatter said you'd be here at three! I wasn't expecting you for st least another 10 minutes!"

Random stranger overtaking me at 2:30am. "Dude, your STS is rad!"

What can I say other than thanks for the hospitality, welcome, organisation and an especial thanks to Mike who tried to fix my helmet mount (and failed) but gave me good advice, lent me £20 calmed me down and sent me off to see the guys at Exposure (who did sort my Joystick out) all at midnight while I (needlessly) panicked about my double lap in the dark.

Mike pm me your pp address please.

Thanks guys and can't wait for whatever next year brings.

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":2elw3abj said:
widowmaker: sounds bad :( I hope you'll be on the mend soon.

Awesome Foursome: Well done team!

Very consistent laps - barring bike failure / injury (Spud), grip coming off and splitting open (me). Time keeping was a doddle - I believe twister came into transition within 1 minute of the expected time at 3am! :shock:

SP

I forgot to take lap times after my first couple of stints. :facepalm: Would be interesting to compare them though. Fatigue versus course familiarity, and different bikes.
Are the results/photos in yet ?

Did I do the last ever Retrobike lap of Gatcombe Park?

Mike

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":3evftcnq said:
@ Gerard: Please can you upload a larger version of the photo titled "Some of the team setting off for the reccie...after too many beers.".

Will do mate when I have bandwidth.

Re:

Results: http://www.mountain-mayhem.com/results-2017

Awesome Foursome 53rd out of 100, 4 man team

RetroBIKE 10 men = 19th (Retro-bution), 20th & 22nd out of 23. Full team names missing, sorry.

Longun 116th solo & letmetalktomark 134th out of 199 riders.

SP

Back