Mavic Wheels - Idiots Guide

LOL. That’s not out geeking, that’s superior knowledge.
Thanks gents. Makes sense on the road rims but no idea on the “TT B1”. Was thinking it might be a OEM specific.

It's funny,was only telling Matt the other day how I've been out-geeked on many occasions on here.Top marks Fluffy!😁👍

LOL. That’s not out geeking, that’s superior knowledge.
Thanks gents. Makes sense on the road rims but no idea on the “TT B1”. Was thinking it might be a OEM specific.
any link to it at all ?

geeking, knowledge. it's all fun. everyone learns of everyone else here.

Basically Matt,if you want Mavic and correct era for '95,it's either 231/261 or 117/217/121 (last 3 would be blue label versions I think,changed to red labels a year or two later).121's a bit more downhill (wider/heavier) but very strong.
Apart from those,you're probably looking at 618/517 both available grey.Then onto post 2000 with 317/717/220/221/222 etc.No grey,all with machined braking surfaces I believe (UB).
As you've realised,pairs of good 90's rims are tricky to find in top nick.If only Mavic had made them a little bit stronger.
Light/strong/cheap.Choose two.

Ok.. So Mavic TT B1

It is an MTB rim
It's an early 90's rim (logo design). - my first clue... so I knew which era to look for
It's for tubular rim similar to Wolber TR-1 this being a rim I know a little about only as it's an option for my 91 RM Altitude

So a trip to Fisher...
and

Part of a Fisher/Vittoria/Mavic
It's the new future of MTB wheels/tyres..
oh I used the other clue of the Vittoria MTB Ranger to narrow it down.
A bit of proof here, it doesn't mention the rim but
490FisherTubie.jpg

and here is the rim and tyre for the history books.
Anyone have Fat Tracks March 1989 ? (is that an section in Mountain Bike magazine ? )

Attachments

• Mavic TT B1 rims.jpg
    Mavic TT B1 rims.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Vittoria MTB Ranger Fisher for TT B1 (2) rims.jpg
    Vittoria MTB Ranger Fisher for TT B1 (2) rims.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Vittoria MTB Ranger Fisher for TT B1 rims.jpg
    Vittoria MTB Ranger Fisher for TT B1 rims.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: Woz
Built this ma40 a couple of weeks ago. Just cant find a rear 130mm 36h xt m732 hub to finish the pair.

I must be mad. Tyre levers and bleeding thumbs at the roadside all ready for that first puncture.

Ma40s make the 261s next door look positively lardy!

Attachments

• 20210427_180500.jpg
    20210427_180500.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 17
Great thread this... 👌

Can anyone tell me where I can get the Mavic rim stickers from? Mine are starting to lift now and beginning to look shabby...

Back