Marin Zolatone appreciation and info thread!

Deafheaven":1ohgvcbu said:
Hi, newbie here. Big fan of the Zolatone Marins and looking to pick one up after I've done my 94 Fisher Advance. Anyway, after looking through a number of posts on here about the impossibility of recreating Zolatone paint I thought i should say a few words that may offer some hope to make it a definite possibilty. I used to work on the now sadly departed Harrier aircraft and remember some parts being painted with something that VERY closely resembled the Zolatone finish. I think it was used as anti erosion paint on leading edge areas. It felt like rubber but had a perfectly smooth matt finish. I am going to ask at the paintshop at work tomorrow if the guys there might be able to get hold of some and try it out. I shall let my findings be known to you guys as soon as I can. :)

Rob

Sounds very similar zolatone seems to be used to protect rather than pretty up! I think it was Drew on hear that had found a similar match with an auto bumper paint. Then there was a guy who's mate had been perfecting replicating the finish with some pleasing results. I think I know the stuff you mean on the Harriers. I think I've seen it on Navy ships also... I'm a TV cameraman by trade and have spent a lot of time filming with the military, and its ringing a bell! I'd be interested in what you find out!

Wook

Deafheaven":2fm9a207 said:
Hi, newbie here. Big fan of the Zolatone Marins and looking to pick one up after I've done my 94 Fisher Advance.

Oh and welcome...Forget the Fisher and get a 1990/91 Marin!!

wookiee":2pk0bf86 said:
...Well you did ask! As far as I can tell its still in use today in the auto and marine world. I think its a plastic ball type coating a bit like a course powder coat. The best description I can give is that it is the texture of about 800 wet and dry! To me coupled with the neon forks gives a sweet look!
Good job - Wonder why Marin stopped using it did it just go out of fashion?

Thanks for the welcome. I have spoken to the guys in the paint shop. They are going to try and order it. It is in 3 different shades of grey and a shade of green and comes in 5 litre packs. We have gone for camouflage grey so lets hope it's the right one and fingers crossed they let the order go through :D

wookiee":1pw1x8z6 said:
Thats a beaut Brock ...I think you should think about one too mate!

I am doing Wook but I don't really want to restore one too much (no more then you are) and tidy zolatone is hard to find as you know. Limited to the model as well because I really want a 1990 Team or PM.

Hi chaps,

It was me who had the mate that did a Zolatone recreation. Haven't been on here lately, as my rebuild has stalled. Not really that much left to do, but just can't seem to find the time to lock myself away in the shed for a weekend to finish it off. Will do soon.

This is one of the last picture that I took of the finished paintjob.

natural.jpg

Foulplay":149xjic4 said:
Hi chaps,

It was me who had the mate that did a Zolatone recreation. Haven't been on here lately, as my rebuild has stalled. Not really that much left to do, but just can't seem to find the time to lock myself away in the shed for a weekend to finish it off. Will do soon.

This is one of the last picture that I took of the finished paintjob.

Looking good what do you need to finish it?

integerspin":1jrm4uml said:
I took some macro pics of the paint, it gives a pretty good idea of what it looks like, click on the IMAGES for larger ones.

Are those pics of your "recreation" of zolatone if so bloody good!

Wish it was.
That is the original paint. I put the pics on a web page so when I asked about texture additives I could suggest they have a look at some pics I took
of the original paint to see what I am trying to achieve.

Back