Marin Muirwoods : Too far gone to save ?

Re: Re:

marc two tone":oz14xw61 said:
Ordinarily, I won't give up on stuff, especially Marin. But those tubes
Need careful assessment start with chain and seat stays. See if corrosion
has got the better of it.
If all is good then, a good scrub with pink stuff or such like and
zolatone is tough stuff. May look ok. With some stubborn remnants.
Looks like all transmission and brake blocks to stand any chance of being
a runner.
I like a wreck rescue story though, 300LX is generally cheap.

If it was 19 inch then there'd be no qualms about saving it, but I struggle to ride anything smaller than that so i'm having trouble justifying the cost and effort to do it.

I've had a look at the seat tube internals and there's nothing to cause any concern, the chainstays will be looked at once I give it a wash.
I have an idea whom could adopt this, i'm just waiting for him to see this thread and act ! :LOL:

Scvintage":33308gd0 said:
If the tubes are full of rust holes, slide some led string lights on the inside and use it as a chandelier

Oooh, nasty :p

It's as rough as it looks but structurally I think it's sound. Will give it a wash and see.

PopsTrippin":215ppga6 said:
If you decide it is too much effort i good give a good home to the back wheel.

The rear wheel is representative of the condition of the rest of the bike, not worth the postage cost imo ;) Look for a decent item on here and buy it.

I've assessed the structural integrity and the news is good.
Surface corrosion only :)

You poked it with a stick? :D

I’ll have a look when I’m over in the next week.. I’d have to make serious efforts to conceal from the family! I’ve tried suggesting I’ve bought bikes for the kids before but they don’t go for it...

baj":379ec7nr said:
You poked it with a stick? :D

I’ll have a look when I’m over in the next week.. I’d have to make serious efforts to conceal from the family! I’ve tried suggesting I’ve bought bikes for the kids before but they don’t go for it...

Lol... my wife asked why the kids need five bikes each

Re:

I'm trying to get the BB out but not owning the correct tools is hindering progress.

A visit to LBS is pencilled in for tomorrow, he'll sort it for me ;)

I do have most what is required to rebuild it, but if Jamie wants it as a project i'll leave it once the BB is out (it's kaput) and let him 'enjoy' it :LOL:

Glad I bought it now :cool:

xxnick1975":10b53dyc said:
Could be a half decent single speed maybe if you fancied one

Now see, I have a 19/20 inch Saracen project en route and that could make a nice single speeder.

As I said earlier, this is too small for me so would rather let someone else 'adopt' it.

Good thinking tho ;)

Re:

Just a little update for those whom are interested ;)

The frame is stripped and bathing in WD40. Stem was well seized in the fork tube but released after being soaked in WD40 for a few hours.
BB is troublesome but i've ordered the correct tool so hopefully will work out ok.

The plan is: Thorough clean. new BB and the Ritchey headset will be cleaned, greased and refitted. Frame and forks will be degreased and spray-varnished to seal everything in. No paint, no primer, just varnish.
I have most of what is needed apart from a seatpost, I think it's 26.2 but dont quote me on that...

The next hurdle is removing the BB really, will try not to resort to using heat but I will as a last resort because it's well seized in.

As room is tight atm I may store it for a while, unless a certain person persuades me to sell it :LOL:

Back