Marin Mount Vision Pro Build

Course you can go 1x12

The info above is wrong

You can get cassettes 11-50 12 speed in standard hg freehub body fitment. The SRAM pg1230 and sunrace make them too. This will fit any 8spd+ freehub.

This will give you the latest gearing. You'll obviously need the 12spd shifter chain and mech to match.

Only if you want to go 10-50 will you need the latest hub with a shimano microspline or SRAM xd freehub

I run a sunrace 11-52 11 speed setup on one retrobike.
Ahh I see, if I were to get a sram pg1230 with a matching groupset, what would be a good HG hub and freehub body that would work with 26in tires?

Ahh I see, if I were to get a sram pg1230 with a matching groupset, what would be a good HG hub and freehub body that would work with 26in tires?

Anything 8/9/10/11 speed that fits your frame will work.

You are looking for a 135mm QR hub with a standard shimano fitment hg freehub. Then you can mount a PG1230 or a sunrace HG fit cassette.

If you use rim brakes you don't need a disc mount.

Shimano are great but perhaps heavier, Hope are bling and expensive. Theres a million options in between.

pg1230 is part of the Sram NX level groupset, e.g. this comes with it:

Sram label their 12spd stuff as "Eagle".

But you could buy the cassette alone and use higher level Sram 12spd shifter and derailleur.

Or a Shimano 12spd shifter and Derailleur

Or even a Shimano derailleur and Sram shifter or vice versa as they are all interchangeable at 12 speed (not 11 or 10).

The SunRace CSMZ800 11-51T 12 Speed cassette is an alternative to the Sram PG1230 11-50 you might find it cheaper.

As was8v says, Shimano and Sram not the only option for cassettes. The 10 speed 11-50 I bought off ebay was a Bolany, a few rides old, works just as well as the Sram cassette, maybe not as light but then neither is your wallet. Read reviews saying it wasn't very good, not my experience though.

pg1230 is part of the Sram NX level groupset, e.g. this comes with it:

Sram label their 12spd stuff as "Eagle".

But you could buy the cassette alone and use higher level Sram 12spd shifter and derailleur.

Or a Shimano 12spd shifter and Derailleur

Or even a Shimano derailleur and Sram shifter or vice versa as they are all interchangeable at 12 speed (not 11 or 10).
I’m thinking something like the NX Eagle groupset to start a build with, then to eventually upgrade as I go while not having to upgrade the system entirely in the process.

Back