Marin Bear Valley -91

Dami

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi!

I guess I'm not the only one who has always liked those 1991 Marins with the neon fade paintworks. I already have a -91 Palisades Trail restored and when I saw this neglected Bear Valley frameset on sale I just knew I had to try and save it.

I understand that stickers were a big deal in the 90's being available in chewing gum wrappings etc. BUT why oh why would somebody do this to his rasta Marin! :facepalm: :facepalm:

p5pb17813249.jpg

The paint looks to be in pretty good condition except for some touch up paint needs on the seat tube and chainstay so I'm pretty hopeful on getting this back to some form of former glory. I already found some cheap Araya CV-7's on DX hubs in need for some serious TLC, so slowly getting also this project on the way!

Only thing missing is the neon red handlebar so if someone has one lying around please let me know! For now I will go for a black seatpost and black handlebar.

P.S. This frame has one unique feature that I have no idea how to explain. If you know your Marins, please check this out and share your knowledge please!

-Turkka

Re:

After some sticker removal (one square millimeter at a time..), sticker glue removal and finally lacquer polishing, this is how it turned out. It’s definitely not a hopeless case!

Next up locating a fitting paint for the touch ups and contacting Gil for some decals.

I didn’t like Take That in the 90’s, but after ripping their paper based gum stickers from the frame a tiny piece at a time, I truly hate them.

p5pb17815031.jpg

p5pb17815030.jpg

-Turkka

I was never a fan of Take That either..... watching for the paint repair...... ;)

Re:

Took the easy way out and decided not to do anything for the damaged paint surface as the worst places will stay anyways mostly hidden under the front derailleur and the chainrings. From the Araya rims I had to clean the braking surface as the worn black anodization looked awful there. Then slowly collected other parts around it and here's the outcome! Tried to keep it as close to original componentry as possible with a small twists like the Turbo saddle and WTB Velociraptor tires that fit the color scheme perfectly.

p5pb19785395.jpg

p5pb19785396.jpg

p5pb19785398.jpg

p5pb19785400.jpg

p5pb19785393.jpg

p5pb19785401.jpg

p5pb19785399.jpg

Re:

:cool: Finished bike looks great! What a transformation!

......Nice finished pictures too! Clear and sharp with a good side - on view and some nice details. :cool: Superb.

boy"O"boy

Re:

Wow :shock:

that gets a standing ovation from me, gotta love a rasta, and I like that you stuck to its core groupset too with a few personal touches.

You can play again with that sort of restoration
rasta-430.gif

RBG

Back