Marin b17 fs tech.

..lee..

Old School Hero
I'm considering an early b17 as a project build but I'm struggling with frame specs / geometry. The '98 and '99 I've seed advertised as having 6" of travel and I believe the swing arms were 40mm longer than the '97 mount vision I'm riding ATM. The 2000 model I've seen advertised as having less travel so what did they do to the frames geometry. I believe they also went from 7 series alloy to 6 series alloy. Can anyone help out me straight in this. Cheers Lee

Re:

I used to race DH around that time and they had an almost guaranteed likely hood of the swing arm snapping. It was like a running joke at the time.

Not sure I would want to buy one this far down the line even if some survived.

Re:

I know the early mount vision had a rep af snapping the rear arm. My mate snapped his, I've tried my hardest to snap mine without luck. Did this happen to the b17's too. I'd have thought if they had made it this far they would be ok.

They cracked but never saw a snapped swingarm. A plate was added to stop the stays from acting independently as the connecting torque tube twisted. Marin warranty replacements were a further evolution adding a disc mount and thicker materials only looking vaguely similar. All seems to be interchangeable up until the TARA era (Tara?). I've never investigated whether these fit or not.

Tough old frames but weak first generation swingarm harmed the image. Pivot mounts can ovalise and bolts can strip. Air shocks are a godsend

Re:

My mount vision still has the feeble early rear arm. I'm shocked it hasn't gone because it's had a fair bit of use since 96. I'm still running the fox coil over shock. It works really well but weighs a ton compared to an air shock. This b17 is running a fox air shock at the rear. Been told 120mm which seems short travel for the b17. It's got 170mm marzochi fronts. Not sure if these are facts but it's worth going to see it anyway.

Re:

Been to see the bike but it doesn't come with the wheels so if I go for it I'll have to find a 20mm bolt through wheel or swap the 160mm marzochi for a QR fork so I can use my wheels. Also the rear swing arm is the same length as my 96 mount vision and I thought they were supposed to be longer.

I dont think they ever were longer. The main frame had the shock mount further down the tube.

Heres mine from ages ago:

b17_sale_sale_150.jpg

and compared too

file.php

Re:

Ok. I can see slight differances in the front mounting point there. Think I'll go for it anyway as I think it's reasonably priced for the stuff it's got on it. Will have to try and get a cheap front wheel " 20mm " and ride it as is. If it doesn't work I could sell it on and lot loose out too much.

Back