Marin 1997 Quake 9 replacement shock

Re:

Hi, All I can say is the eye to eye is 165mm, shock travel is about 45mm but I am not sure where you measure that from and to.

I have lost the specs in a house move so that's about all I can tell you I'm afraid.

I can say It does work really well, the RP23 transformed the handling of my bike. best thing I ever did to it. I'm about to replace my Quake with a new main bike, (I'll be keeping the Quake for sentimental reasons) but the RP23 has worked well for three years, with no maintenance other than cleaning and the odd pressure check. I highly recommend this conversion.

Cheers

Simon.

I measured in the frame 165mm, but wasn't sure if it was compressed slightly and perhaps 170mm. Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

Ive a quake 9.0 here too and im looking to swop the shock out as a wee project.
As long as i can get some sort of replacement for next to nothing :LOL:

Im guessing 165 and 40 ish :? but its the mounts, bushes thingies im interested in knowing about

What did you say they finally came out at ? ie what do i order :LOL:

Again, a wee project as the frame brilliantly newish as it is is too small for me :( But new enough to present an opportunity for a wee fettle about.
Too small bikes seem to be my lot on here. Find a large and im skint. got funds and theres nowt.

Sorry for necroing this thread, but struggling to get the original shock off.
All bolts come out just can't get the bushes out of the frame, just got a nice new air shock for my quake 9.
Any help appreciated.

azrael":1s8s58wb said:
Sorry for necroing this thread, but struggling to get the original shock off.
All bolts come out just can't get the bushes out of the frame, just got a nice new air shock for my quake 9.
Any help appreciated.

It has been a while since I took mine off, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. From what I can remember, there is a pin that runs all the way through the bushes, both at the frame end and at the swingarm end.

This pin is what the bolts screw into.

You need to push this pin out, I used a punch and a small tapping hammer. once this pin is removed the shock should almost fall out.

Let us know how you get on or if you have already removed the pins.

Cheers

Simon.

Re:

oh and the chamfered washers/bush on the outside of the frame need to be poped out (atleast on one side) before you can push the epin out.

Removed all bolts,(upper link) and nuts (bottom link) on the shock.
But still not shifting, even after a firm tap with a hammer and drift and the sockets and clamp method.

By chamfered washers do you mean the one pressed into the frame at the top? Not the housings for the hex bolts? if it is the former I have not managed to get those out either.

So looks like a trip to the LBS :(
But it is due it's 'free' lifetime warranty trip for this sort of thing so may just see how much they want to swap it.
Cheers

Re:

To take shock off you need to remove the pin the nuts were on at swing-arm end and the pin the small bolts were screwed into at frame end.
The cup/chamfered washers under bolts should just fall off after bolts are removed but the other ones on the inside of frame mount cannot come out till pin through shock bush is removed as they are recessed into frame mount.

Read this thread and look at pics, viewtopic.php?f=41&t=335085&hilit=marin

As mentioned in thread do not just batter away at pins, you will eff them up and they won't come out. Use the method I used and shown in pics, with both upper and lower pins once they move a little spray more WD40 type stuff on exposed part of pin then transfer the pulling to other side, moving it back and forward in this way till it slides relatively easily out.

Cheers all sorted now, got to have been the hardest shock to remove ever.
A lot of cajoling, using clamps, washers, hammers and drifts, but it is all apart now.
Just needing to order a new bushing/spacer kit and it will be back on the road & 300g lighter :0

Back