Marin 1997 Quake 9 replacement shock

Thunderchief

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all

I would like to replace my current Fox vanilla coil spring shock with a modern Fox RP23. I've been looking about on the internet for the dimensions of the eyelets to see if i will need custom bushes or not, but I'm struggling to find anything conclusive. All I've manged to find so far is the internal diameter is 12.7mm does anyone know for sure, or can measure a modern RP23? I need the internal diameter and the width.

I think that they are all the same size but I would like to confirm that.

Also if anyone has any tips or possible pitfall for what I want to do I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Simon.

Attachments

• currentbike.jpg
    currentbike.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,159
I think they will be the same.

I changed the coil-shock on a '98 Wolf Ridge for a Fox air-shock, used same size of bushes/spacers, although did get new ones. The rear arm on the Quake is same as on the Wolf Ridge but front triangle is obviously different but would assume that the bushes/spacers would be same.

This might help,
http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/mount_k ... hings.aspx

I got mine here, the "Strong bushes"
http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... ong+Bushes

Just measure width of bushes/spacers fitted to shock while it's off the bike and order accordingly. It's 8mm bolts that go through spacers.

Hey thanks, that's perfect, I'm confidant that the mounting points are the same from the Quake to the Wolf Ridge. the rear swingarm is off a B17 but that had the same same dimensions as my quake as well.

Out of interest how did you find it rode with the air shock?

Thanks

Simon.

I built it for my 16y.o. daughter so haven't ridden it much except to check it all worked OK on lane where we live so no proper off-road stuff.

The coil-shock that was on it would have been too hard for me moreso for my daughter.
I have a Fox air-shock on my Cannondale Super V and it feels good, absorbs bumps big or small. The good thing about air-shocks compared to coil-shocks, apart from weight, is they can be easily adjusted for different rider weights using a pump.

Ok thanks, I'm considering sending an email to TF Tuned to see if they can custom the shock to the frame. Don't know if that would be worth it or not though, starting to get a bit expensive then.

Thanks for your help.

Simon.

i had that shock on my quake bitd and a rp23 on a mount vision pro (2008 model) i hated the pro pedal action it was like cycling with an under inflated tyre. i would go for a rp2 save some money and have the lockout feature. just my opinion and i have no idea whether it would fit sorry

Funny, I want the RP23 for the Propedal. :) I tried it on a friends bike and it worked great, Ideal for me I hope. I'm not sure it will work the same on a single pivot frame though, so the rp2 idea is worth considering.

I'm going to send an email to TF Tuned to see if they have a recommendation.

Thanks

Simon.

I've decided, after a brief discussion with TF tuned, to go with the RP23. I'll post on here once I have it fitted, to let anyone interested know how it goes.

Thanks all.

Simon.

Hi all,

I received the Shock from TF Tuned on Friday, and fitted it that night. The custom mounts were perfect, and it fitted with no problems into my frame.

TF Tuned supply the shock set up to your bike, weight and general riding style. Obviously this is done blind and in this case with a unconventional bike, however my initial ride was very positive. They provide a document with the settings they have used, so you can set it back to default if you play about with it.

The shock is light and well made, and the controls easy to use. The Kashima coating is very shiny! :)

I went for a brief road/light offroad run on Saturday to test it out, the pro Pedal is impressive for on road work, really did feel much more efficient. (how much is just positive thinking is open to guess work though ;-) ) and while the off road was fairly light, (a gentle descent on horse hoof broken up hardened mud was about as rough as it got) the shock did feel nice and plush and very well damped. I will have to throw it at a rock garden to be sure though! ;-)

Over all I am very pleased with this shock and the service from TF Tuned, I can Highly recommend them.

Cheers

Simon.

Attachments

• foxRP23small.jpg
    foxRP23small.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,062
Hi, what was the spec of the shock (eye to eye etc)? I want to do the same thing, but don't want to take it apart just to check - cause it's a pain in the rear to get it back in again. Can you remember? Thanks, JB

Back