Marin 1991 Palisades Trail help (BB size, paint, seatpost)

afp401

MacRetro Rider
Thanks in advance for your input!
Does anyone know the Bottom bracket required, Seat post size required? or touched up the paint on one of these frames?

Bottom Braket.
The seizings and codes have me thouroghly confused. The more I read about the subject the more confused I seem to get.
Cranks are Exage LX FC-M300
Front Derailer Exage FD-M300 clamp size ? is is stamped on the inside, I don't want to take it off (seat tube measures 29.05-29.20mm). This appears to determin if the chainline is 47.5 or 50mm

The old grumbly BB one has no lable and i'm not 100% sure it is original anyway.
One the plastic thread cup it says "BC1.37 68" so that is British 1.37x24 thread. And a 68mm bottom braket shell (which is correct as measured on the frame).
Unfortunately I did not measure chain line before removing the cranks thinking what cartridge to choose would be obvious and strait forward.
Spindel lenght measures 122.88

According to this i need a 121 mm spindel length
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 8.JPG.html
But it does not say if it needs to "be longer on one side than the other as seems to be the case with some of the old cartridges I have lying around here.

Any hints as to how to know what bottom bracket cartridge I need/ I can buy now that is compatible?
Is it really a case of buy and try?
I'm reluctant to take it to the LBS.

I did that with another (1994 Kona AA) project (would be different LDS) got sold a new BB and now having become suspicious.
So i just I went to measure it and the chain line and its 58mm but that is for another thread.

Paint
Has anybody touched up one of these frames? If so what paint did you find matched reasonably well?
If i'd live somewhere urban I'd have a look round myself but I can't justify the >1h drive and really have no other reason to go.

Seatpost
anybody know what size it is supposed to be?
Closest
Bresent post is 26mm (printed, and measured seems accurate range 25.88-26.13 as far as I trust my Lidl calipers) slides whe forced even if clamped and slightly rattels. After I discovered and removed the gaffer tape.
26.4 (measured 26.3:cool: will fit forced to about 1 inch.
I ordered a cheap 26.2mm aly post to try now but if someone could confirm that would be nice!

Attachments

• marine frame small compressed pic.JPG
    marine frame small compressed pic.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 570
Re:

I think it is all original exept for the seatpost.
The saddle is a marin and looks early-mid 90s so i doubt it was changed.
I got the pedals somewhere. I think they are original too but a bit grindy and I don't think they 'd justify the efort to service the bearings.

My seatpost is a Marin Lite - 26.4.
Sounds like if someone has put a smaller one in they might have squeezed the seat tube a bit to stop it slipping.

I kind of forgot the dustcaps aren't original neither. Smiley faces. It's my girfriends bike.

24539940411_24272d2fda_c.jpg

Tyres still original, and probably the reflectors.

Back