Maguras munching my rims!

red_dread

Dirt Disciple
Yikes, after another muddy winter off-roading it feels like my Magura HS33 rim brakes have munched their way into the braking surfaces on my Mavic rims.

The braking surface feels concave and grooved. Has anyone else experienced this? At what point should I get a new rim? Anyone had any experiences of rims failing because of this?

I'm strugging with a dliemma here. On the one hand, I'm so spineless and cowardly that I'm terrified of my rims splitting and killing me, and on the other hand I'm so lazy and stingy I can't be bothered to get a new rim unless absolutely necessary.

Help!

i had a rim wall go through many years ago on my 1st mtb, an 89 saracen traverse. had had a lot of use & it gave up when i was couriering. didn't go all the way round at the same time though so it's unlikely to kill you, just spoil your day.

I had the rear original rim explode after twelve years of daily use. To be fair, it was a bit concave, but what caused it to go, was bike left in the sun all day. It went with one hell of a bang, blew the rim wall out, splintered it, along with a panaracer smoke tyre and the green slime filled tube. The green slime covered everything in a three metre radius of the non chainset side. The result being the back wheel locked up, the splintered rim piled up on the seat stays.

You want to be careful, I had a brake pad go through the sidewall of a rim. I was doing over 50kmph going down a road on my mountainbike, needless to say the tyre went instantly lat and cause it was the front i dicked off in a big way... Tarceal hurts at that speed :(

Before discs I got through a set of rims every 12 months. Build a set every spring and by the time the winter had gone it was time for at least a rear rim!

red_dread":lkhjdg3x said:
Yikes, after another muddy winter off-roading it feels like my Magura HS33 rim brakes have munched their way into the braking surfaces on my Mavic rims.

Check the pads after each ride, the 4 small notches in Magura pads can hold small stones which can cause problems ;)

Mine did similar things to ceramic rims and made me very upset afterwards (due to cost and nostalgic reasons).
I soon realised that washing the pads after every ride greatly increases their braking ability next time around, and also prolongs the life of the rim, as the little bits of mud that act like sandpaper are removed by cleaning.
This has now become a post-ride ritual.

Latest posts

Back