trying to decide on some rims for a 91ish build

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so i have a build coming up soon, i'm trying to get a few things in order so that when the frame comes back from paint i can get on with the build pretty much straight away.

i have been stuck on a couple of things with regard to how to build it, i've pretty much made the spec decision but i'm trying to decide on the rims.

i currently have a pair of wheels i could use, campagnolo record 9speed rear hub, 1998 nukeproof titanium front hub on the rarer light blue anodised mavic open pro. now these rims are now pretty worn which is why i want to change them.

but to what?

i think in an ideal world i would look for a pair of mavic open 4cd, but on ebay etc everything i see is crazy money, on the other hand i am not that fussed about period correctness as to be honest it doesn't bother me. for example i will be building a 91 frame with 98 parts, but regardless of this i want the bike to look classic in style, which it will do as the 98 record group i'm using is all silver

so i have been having a look at a few things:-

Ison Distributon do the Retro rim, available in black, grey or polished, looks to have a machined surface in black but not grey or silver which would be the preferred colour choice for my build and machined surface is prefferred for better braking

https://www.ison-distribution.com/engli ... RMHARE72KC

then there's this from Ryde, the Sputnik rim, but it looks a little boring, like an older mavic Ma3 or ma40, more like a training rim as opposed to a cool looking racey rim

https://www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/show_ ... =19&p=4822

then there are the Velocity rims, the Deep V i quite like and then the Fusion is similar but slightly shallower, both are available in silver or black but not grey, both have the option of a machined side wall

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/veloci ... 00c-silver

can anyone think of any other rims that may tick the retro looking box? obvs basically i like these rims as they are either designed to look retro or like the Deep V have been around for years. i'm not fussed on the current open pro rim from mavic as i don't think they last that well these days, it's like the material is softer on the braking surface, not to mention the newer version that looks like the top of the rim is bulging between the spokes, ugh.

any other suggestions? opinions on these options?

:)

The first rim that comes to mind if you're looking for that Mavic Open 4cd colour is the H plus Son TB14 rim. It comes in black, silver and grey and the grey would give the retro look but with a modern 23mm outside width and 17mm internal, and also has the little valve hole counterweight just like the Ambrosio rims.

Re:

hmm, i hadn't considered H+son, oddly, i think the HS14 is a little flat looking, the archetype rim though . . . hmm.

I went with Ambrosio Excellights on my 90's Colnago. Very pleased.
dsc_0852-2-jpg.460980

Back