Magura HS33's on my road bike... destroying my rims?

error_trials

Retro Newbie
Hey all. New to the forum, longtime visitor. Thank you for all the helpful info. I'm looking for some advice or experience with Magura HS33's on a 700c bike... I ride a Cannondale T700 touring frame, but mostly more aggressive/fast city road riding. I put my old HS33 Racelines on it, and have had mixed results.

They are noisy - but not squealy, more scrapey... I noticed the pads pick up quite a bit of metal bits, either from the rim or from the road, but probably the rim... I cleaned the rims and picked out all the bits from the pads the other day, carefully set up the calipers and took a ride, that made it quieter and stronger feeling, but it wasn't long before the scrapey noise came back. Checked the pads and saw some new bits to pick out.

My front wheel is a Mavic cosmos, and the rear rim is a Sun CR18. Happens on both rims.

I'm worried that I'm destroying the rims with these brakes, if not just losing stopping power. I (try to) ride fast, and want to stop safely. The rims don't seem super rutted/concave but I will take a closer look before I ride too much harder.

Any experience running HS33's on non-trials bikes for long and fast riding? Should I expect those pads to eat up the rims? Any suggestions on pad type/brand?

My experience is with Magura black pads, but I ordered some red Kool Stops - I think I meant to get "salmon"... The reds came with a big scary warning on the package "EXTREME COMPOUND FOR ONLY EXPERIENCED TRICK OR TRIALS RIDERS..." sounds like they lock the wheel, not great for a front wheel for this bike... oops.

I know they spec these brakes on some e-bikes, and I thought a lot of touring riders liked them - hoping I can find a good pad or rim to run these! Or try some old V's.

Thank you!

I’ve had good luck with the ‘dual-compound’ red and black Koolstop pads on normal alloy rims; I have a spare brand new set you could have.

I’ve since moved to Rigida CSS rims with a tungsten-carbide coating, and special pads. The tungsten braking surface doesn’t wear at all, certainly zero wear in the 2K+ miles I’ve done on these rims in all conditions, and there’s no black aluminium slurry to wash off or bits of rim to pick out of the pads.

The CSS coating has been discontinued now due to everyone moving to disc brakes...

I've run them for 15+ years on my tourer, and MTBs even longer.
Trials pads aren't designed for distance and are incredibly aggressive and abrasive to optimise static grab.

The red/black pads work well for me, although the stock Magura black ones are fine too.

Re:

Thank you both ecto and hamster! Helpful to hear more wisdom. Yeah, definitely won't be riding the red trials pads... but the black Magura brand do seem to be eating these rims. I didn't know they made the red/black combo for HS33 - ecto I might take you up on your offer! I might also see if Kool Stop black is any more friendly than the Magura brand...
Thank you!!

Re:

Ecto - I'm new here and it won't let me send messages yet, not sure if I can receive them.. I'd be happy to compensate or trade for your pads!

Thanks!

I've never had much problem with the stock black pads eating rims - generally they polish with use. However if the rims are roughened by the trials pads they will take a whiel to clean up and settle. I find that filing the pads cleans them rapidly.
Make sure that your black pads are not in fact Magura ceramic ones, which are a very dark green and much more abrasive.
For all things Magura, try Tarty Bikes.

Re:

Awesome! Thanks Hamster. I'll check that shop. These are the black pads, I know what you mean about the green. Never ran the red trials pads on any bike actually, but "accidentally" ordered the red set thinking they were the "salmons"... still in the pack with scary warning sticker.

Re:

Off topic slightly - but the red pads in Maguras weren’t that deadly at all. We used to grind our rims , and add tar on our Monty’s. Used to squeal like hell

Re:

Not specifically with Magura brakes but I’ve had what you describe from using old brake pads that has gone a bit hard.

It was on a set of nos LX cantis and pads I bought. Swapped the pads for newer ones and they were fine.

Re: Re:

error_trials":2xjm9w43 said:
Ecto - I'm new here and it won't let me send messages yet, not sure if I can receive them.. I'd be happy to compensate or trade for your pads!

Thanks!

I'll PM you my email address.

Back