Mafac cantis

i had some of those, still have in a box somewhere, although they are branded Spidel. They are not comfortable, quite a bulky and squared rubber hood.
I don't remember them being uncomfortable. I'd describe the shape as "reassuringly chunky", with a good quarter inch thickness of hood on top. The bottoms are a bit square, admittedly. I particularly liked the clips which attached them to the bars- which you could wrap around in situ, rather than having to wriggle them up from the bottom ends of the bars like Campag and their ilk. The only thing I didn't particularly like about them was the cable adjusters- one of them broke..
I don't have particularly big hands, btw..

Something in my somewhat faulty memory is suggesting that back in the late 1970s I saw some Peugeot team bikes with Mafac centre pull arms fitted to canti bosses which had been brazed high up the forks and seat stays - rather like direct mount brakes. I haven't been able to find any trace of such on the 'net so maybe they are just part of my imagination.

Don't worry Jim, your not losing the plot, your correct, the PY10 as used by the team from 74 had brazed bosses. The 'Team' bikes were built in the new Peugeot Prestige workshop.

IMG_1096.jpg IMG_1105.jpg IMG_1101.jpg

So actually have my lovely new old gate frame with me finally. Cleaning up the cantis etc. The two levers are mafac with plenty scratches and no hoods. In the box I have one non matching drilled mafac in good condition with hood and one plastic mafac missing an adjuster. I have loads of other non adjuster options but will I be cursing them when trying to get the cantis set up?

Use hangers with adjusters or failing that install inline adjusters altho the latter is perhaps a bit modern if you're trying to keep it period

Thanks so I definitely need adjusters somewhere to avoid the cursing...

Mostly wanting them to work really well and to look good but no strict period correct police here. Im just wanting to get it on the road first to make sure I like the fit and ride.

Thanks so I definitely need adjusters somewhere to avoid the cursing...

Mostly wanting them to work really well and to look good but no strict period correct police here. Im just wanting to get it on the road first to make sure I like the fit and ride.
The adjusters are necessary to take up the slack as brake blocks wear, rather than for any initial set up. Without these you will have to take up the slack by periodically reclamping the cable

Back