MacRetro Trading Post

I'll keep my bid in but won't raise it then.
on a side note, I need to buy some nice timber to make a fireplace, it would be nice to go somewhere where I could pick the individual bits - any ideas where I could do that?

Wasn't sure where to put this... I'm moving hoose next week (fingers crossed anyway) and need a transit size van for a day or 2. Anyone have any experience of the best place to hire in Edinburgh/West Lothian or near by?

Wanted the 29er version of rear Crud catcher but it's only available as a full set, so I've a brand new front to sell.
£5 at a meet, or I'll post for £7.50

The Ken":2f6yeek1 said:
on a side note, I need to buy some nice timber to make a fireplace, it would be nice to go somewhere where I could pick the individual bits - any ideas where I could do that?

Most of my timber comes from Timet which is a big company/yard and machinery so dont like the public wandering about. There your likely to get the best price but will know what you want exactly before ordering. eg You reckon that to produce it you would need X amount of 'boards' ,pick the species of your choice(american oak is cheap and quality then phone it in.
Im not sure about non trade accounts but recently theyve taken on machining work so i think theyre happy for any business.
Do you know what youre doing as in have a plan or drawing for the finished article ? Or are we talking 4 bits of wood and a pile of 6" nails. Know how a mantle is made as in what pieces go where ?.

If youre intending the latter and want something 'interesting' looking, all flaws, knots, curly figured grain patterns then i could point you in the direction of Patrick Baxter of lanarkshire hard woods
EXPENSIVE :shock: There youll pay extra for the flaws(character as PB will put it :LOL: ) that timet deduct because theyre flaws
But you can go to the showroom and look and pick what you want.
I think he does pro, but i gather once upon a time with him being so expensive and deals mainly with the general public.
This is the website.
http://www.lanarkshirehardwoods.co.uk/

Take a look at his furniture gallery. :cool:

The Ken":1cinbuwe said:

I got mine from a salvage yard, roof beams from a school I believe.

It is nice first grade timber I am after - possibly oak but douglas fir would probably be period correct - building a traditional victorian fireplace but at a bigger than normal scale to fit a 110x110 insert....

Fireplace-V1_zps02c64006.jpg

My parents replaced all the fireplace surrounds with reclaimed ones. Bought complete and some were very fancy taken out of old victorian/edwardian houses that were redeveloped. Not cheap admittedly but way nicer than modern reproductions and of course using quality hardwoods that are so hard to get these days.

We've been looking for a fireplace we like for 4 months now and as it is an unusual size not much has come up - we looked at modern reproductions too but again the size limits our choices and we don't like what is available so I have copied and scaled up the one from our old house to suit, just need to find wood, getting wood in dundee is not that easy, you have to order in nice wood so you don't get to choose individual planks :)

Has your search extended to Edinburgh and Glasgow. With the sheer number of victorian/edwardian houses in these cities there might be something. I know creating something yourself would be very pleasing but your projects do seem to have the Ediburgh Tram Scheme timetable ;)

Latest posts

Back