Machining modern aluminum 1.125 steerer to 1 inch?

peguinpower

Old School Hero
Hello engineering types!

I came upon a good deal for a Fox RLC fork in 1.125 and thought I may wanna try it on my old Bonty MTB.

Am considering to have a local machine shop to put it on a lathe and shave off the 0.125 inch on the steerer.

Shaving approx. 3mm diameter from 1.125 diameter, 5mm thick walled pipe.

Thanks.

What do you think? Is this a really bad idea?

Ok. I'm good. I did some basic calculations and found that the wall thickness would have to be lathed from 6 mm to 3.913 mm.

I know it's 5mm (actually 6) for a reason. I also know that you can change things around a bit as long as one is cautious. I was willing to shave at the most 1 mm all around, but not the 2+mm it requires.

peguinpower":1pcna774 said:
Ok. I'm good. I did some basic calculations and found that the wall thickness would have to be lathed from 6 mm to 3.913 mm.

I know it's 5mm (actually 6) for a reason. I also know that you can change things around a bit as long as one is cautious. I was willing to shave at the most 1 mm all around, but not the 2+mm it requires.

Print this out then you can look at it as the surgeon tells you how he's going to wire your face back together.

Bad idea. Very very very bad idea

Want an idea ?. Go bombing downhill and when you reckon youve reached maximum speed, sit back and take both hands off the bars.

dyna-ti":14dqbnqp said:
peguinpower":14dqbnqp said:

Print this out then you can look at it as the surgeon tells you how he's going to wire your face back together.

Want an idea ?. Go bombing downhill and when you reckon youve reached maximum speed, sit back and take both hands off the bars.

blah blah blah. you add no value here. go away.

peguinpower":22j0yt1k said:
dyna-ti":22j0yt1k said:
peguinpower":22j0yt1k said:

blah blah blah. you add no value here. go away.

Do I have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.

Three sugars for you i think :?

I think value was added, albeit to agree that this is one terrible idea and you should stop contemplating it.

One thing you could consider, and I have had this done on a couple of forks in the past, is to have the steerer pressed out, and a new one fitted to the diameter/length you want. Admittedly, I was replacing like for like if memory serves, but should be possible, especially if you have an engineering/machine shop local.

Re:

How thick is it where the crown sits as that'll be the weakest point.

Assuming it's not internally butted then internal reinforcment should be possible.

All a bit of a faff and sticking a new tube in may be easier.

Back