Looking for advice bon these forks!

Norwood42

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I’m rebuilding this Rixon frame and just realised that the stem cap is missing as I think the bike shop lost it when they changed the stem ages ago. Do I need to just get a new stem and cap or is it possible to get just the cap? Any help appreciated!
Thanks.

Attachments

• 11150A6E-C18C-4178-A3D1-2E82DB11CC3F.jpeg
    11150A6E-C18C-4178-A3D1-2E82DB11CC3F.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 38
They are threaded forks for a quill stem. The cap is part of the stem.

It's not a good idea to fit an ahead stem around a threaded fork.

That looks weird. Is the carbon steerer tube inside a threaded sleeve or something? Unless my eyes deceive me it looks like some sort of bodge but I could be very wrong

Hoping the bike shop just put a threaded steerer off-cut over the real unthreaded 1" carbon steerer as a temporary protective shim and a seat-post clamp just to keep the headset together for transport. If it's a 1" carbon unthreaded steerer, you need a suitable bung with a cap.

If not, then that appears totally unsafe and a really poor job.

After another look and the above post I'm not really sure what is going on, but what I think you need is a carbon steerer compression 'bung' in whatever size your steerer is. You simply tighten that up ready to fit your stem.

Remove the threaded bit as I doubt it's attached to anything, and also what looks like a seat post clamp. You then just need to work out how many spacers you need with your stem of choice, slot it all over the steerer tube, fit a top cap (if not part of the compression bung), preload it all so there is no play but not too tight as to put too much pressure on the headset bearings, then bolt it all up and you should be good to go.

Is it thread or just a somehow ribbed shim? It seems damaged even. I hope they didn't put a star nut in that carbon fork.. You need this: An expander nut. Also take off the clamp, on a carbon fork that is not advisable. And maybe put on a new shim.
1660152889930.png

That's the thing I was calling a compression 'bung'. Couldn't remember the proper name for it. Bingo.

Assuming it was all just packaging materials and the fork is fine, I'm sure I have a spare FSA bung kicking about. Yours for £15 posted ;)

Back