Left side tandem crankset on a bike. Bad idea?

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,

Do you reckon it would be a bad idea to install a crankset originally designed to be fitted with the chainrings on the left hand side of the bottom bracket on a regular bike?
I think the only difference would be that the threads for the pedals will be the wrong way around.
Would that mean they would come loose? I guess it all depends on quickly that would happen. Any idea?

Thanks!

Yes, worst case scenario I could just stick some threadlock on the pedals. Not ideal but...

Depending on the pedals they might also be the wrong way round (think what happens when you put a SPD pedal on..)🤔

Spa Cycles for decent cranks for £35 in 160mm.

Yes, I came to that conclusion too, and decided to keep my life easy. Also, I hadn't seen the cranks from Spa Cycles, they are really good value.

The only issue is that all those that come in 160mm have one of the bolts behind the crankarm, a layout I prefer to avoid (why do they even make them like this??). So I either go for the 165mm, or for the kid ones at 155mm 🤣

Yes there's a risk that the pedal will unwind with a left hand tandem crank arm on the drive side, but I've never had it happen. Those spa chainsets are good. I have a couple (well 3 in fact, as we have the tandem set) The bolt behind the crankarm sounds more inconvenient than it is in reality.

Back