Learning to do tricks

Spudalumps

Senior Retro Guru
Hey all!

Looking for some opinions... I have a super small merlin frame maybe 12.5/14” not sure, but defiantly very small... it takes 26” wheels both v and disc mounts available too. I’m a confident rider at speed etc but I would love to learn some sick tricks... yo.... lol! Wheelies, bunny hop, manuals ya know... recon this would be good to learn on or should I get a jump bike?

You can do jumps etc on anything really.

A small frame is just that, small, a jump frame is small in height but still long in top tube. I would buy a cheap, not cheap as in crap, cheap as in second hand older style, jump bike, see if its for you and if not you shouldnt have too much trouble selling it on again.

Re:

If you are looking to learn that sort of thing, I think you would ideally be better off with a specific jump frame... a small xc designed frame is going to be longer in the rear end, making learning the art of balance and getting the bike moving around, that much harder (and less fun)

Just my 2p worth
G

Thanks for all the comments!! It is quite long so yeah, I might just give it a go while searching for a cheap frame with 20” wheels

Thats called a 'BMX' surely?

Old jump frames have Gussetts! Faasins' of 'em! Stops them from breaking unexpectedly and creating new bum holes.

Re:

Personally I find modern bikes easier to do “tricks” on.

Basic stuff like wheelies , hops and Manuals can be done on pretty much anything (almost) but modern stuff has better brakes , geometry for this kind of stuff.

Re:

Funny you should say this. What we will be doing this morning is manualing around the garden. I grew up in the days of mountain-biking when being in the air was looked at with some surprise. With the shift in style in the last couple of decades I decided to break with my high gravity style - glued to the ground - and get in the air.

Simple remedy - a P2 Specialized 26 inch jump frame from eBay. 40gbp. Great build - hope bolt through on rear, saint cranks, wide bars, marzocchi dj3 100mm forks 50:00 ebay.

total cost around 160 gbp, since quite a few bits lying around. That’s the way to do it.

And then built one for the Grom...but that’s a DMR and another story....

Re:

I can still crack out a awesome no footed wheelie even at 35. You can always tell the people
Who grew up riding when at trail centres and the ones treating it as the new golf.

I can’t hop like I used to though. Used to be able to bunny hop a picnic table clear on a mtb but not now.

Back